Thread: How to get transmission working on Iomega HMND Cloud edition

How to get transmission working on Iomega HMND Cloud edition

I have somehow got transmission working on Iomega HMND Cloud edition by following the below solution, so if anyone else is willing to try out the same then they can follow it as well.
    • First you will have to install Optware and after that make sure that you are enabling the telnet and root access and then you will have to use the below command for Installing Packages:

export feed=http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable
    export ipk_name=`wget -qO- $feed/Packages | awk '/^Filename: ipkg-opt/ {print $2}'`
    wget $feed/$ipk_name
    tar -xOvzf $ipk_name ./data.tar.gz | tar -C / -xzvf -
    mkdir -p /opt/etc/ipkg
    echo "src cross $feed" > /opt/etc/ipkg/feeds.conf

So when you are done with the same and have installed the Optware then you can precede updating and installing nano using the below command:
    export PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH
    ipkg update
    ipkg install nano

• Once you are done until here then you will have to set /opt/bin to permanently in the PATH environment variable, so you will have to add the below command to the bottom of /root/.profile for the root user:

export PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH
    I have also found that that the New version of Transmission based on the 1.3 branch has been made available and Transmission 1.3x is coming with Clutch Web UI, so you can follow the below command for the same.
    • setup optware ipkg
    • # ipkg update
    • # ipkg install transmission
    • forward port 51413 to NAS

After this you will have to create and login,so just make sure that you are logging in as non-root user.
    $ mkdir -p $HOME/Downloads
    $ /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -w $HOME/Downloads
    $ pidof transmission-daemon # should return 3 process ID's
    connect to web UI http://YOUR-NAS-IP-ADDRESS:9091/

Once you are done with the same then you will get started and the usage of the web UI should be straight-forward, if at all if you have any issues with the below command in the above steps:
    $ pidof transmission-daemon # should return 3 process ID's
    Then you can use the below commands:
    # killall transmission-daemon
    # /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -h
    # /opt/bin/transmission-daemon –f

Now after completing all that just restart demon, there are possibilities that you will have to restart it twice and after that things will work fine, Hope that helps.

Re: How to get transmission working on Iomega HMND Cloud edition

Hey thanks for the same I have tried following the above solution and even I am having it running but then I am having a couple of questions for you:
    Once you are done until here then you will have to set /opt/bin to permanently in the PATH environment variable, so you will have to add the below command to the bottom of /root/.profile for the root user:
    I am not having /root on the system and I have ignored the same for the time being
    After this you will have to create and login so just make sure that you are login in as non-root user.
    Here I have not logged in as a non-root user but then I have created another user and have kept the Permission Denied.
    I was not able to log in using the web interface but then I was able too after editing the Transmission setting.json file so as to include my network:
    nano .config/transmission-daemon/settings.json then change the line
    "rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1",
    with
    "rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1,192.168.1.*",

After all these things are working fine but then it is not persistent, I mean that when I am rebooting the system then I have to go back and re-edit the file and have to start the transmission all the way round, I think that this is the only inconvenience that I am having, so if it is possible to solve out the same then do let me know. Thanks for your contribution.

Re: How to get transmission working on Iomega HMND Cloud edition

Ok, don’t worry about the same as I have found out a solution for making it persistent and now you will not have to go back and re-edit the file and start the transmission all the way round after reboot, you can follow the below steps for doing the same.
    • Login as a root and then create a user using the below command:
    • useradd -g 100 user

• After that transfer the home directory to some permanent location rather than default /home/user using the below command:

mkdir /mnt/pools/A/A0/user
    chown user:users /mnt/pools/A/A0/user
    usermod -d /mnt/pools/A/A0/user -m user

• When you are done with the same then login as new user and edit .bashrc (or .profile) so as to incorporate /opt/bin into the path and after that start the transmission-daemon so that the files and directories which are in .config/transmission-daemon gets created, you can use the below command for the same:

transmission-daemon -w /mnt/pools/A/A0/Downloads/
    • If you want then you can also sets the path where the settings file will be put after getting downloaded, you just have to edit the settings file for that:

vi .config/transmission-daemon/settings.json
    • Now for allowing the web-acces add an ssh-key for the user that you might have created so that he can login without password prompt and start the daemon on the NAS using the local script:

ssh user@<NAS-IP> "transmission-daemon"
    Just try it out and then let me know if it is working out for you or not.