Thread: How to restore original firmware on Iomega HMND

How to restore original firmware on Iomega HMND

I have been using Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition and I have by-mistakenly broken the firmware of the same while reading the HDD image in Linux desktop, I have checked out a solution of the same and have found that I can download and unpack on my 1st and 2nd partition of HDD, so is there anyone who can help me out with mbr+uboot+kernel.gz and sda1-2064.tgz for Cloud Edition? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Re: How to restore original firmware on Iomega HMND

I can help you out in creating "mbr+uboot+kernel.gz and sda1-2064.tgz" files if you provide me more information about the same, actually in my case I am having a Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition but then I am not having any information on the same, I have tried out swapping it with a 2TB drive and have also duplicated the RAID partitions on CLONEZILLA but then I don’t know for what reason the hard drive is just not booting up, I think that it is so as I have not duplicate the MBR partition/information properly but then I am not that sure about the same, so if there is anyone who can provide me the instruction for creating Firmware images then I will do the same and will try to help you out by uploading it, I have tried searching out for an article that can help me out in creating Firmware images but then I have not got any success.

Even I need some help regarding the same, in my case I am having a Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition 2TB in my box but then I have recently replaced the 2TB with a testdisk of 500GB, now I am willing to connect 2TB to my desktop and then use the parted magic – clonezilla so as to create a backup image, I will like to add that I have done that previously as well but then I don’t know how to do it in this situation, so is there anyone who can help me out with the following things:
    • How to Create images so that they can be used for myself.
    • How do I have to restore the images using parted magic to my testdisk of 500GB.

Other than this I also wanted to add that if anyone wants to add a readme file then they can send me the readme file for uploading them, till thn is there anyone who can help me with my doubts???

In that case I will like to inform you that the clonezilla can also backup the unused space that is between the first partition and the partition table, so here if the CE is comparable to the 'Classic' then it might have restored the bootloader as well as the kernel, if you go through the this partition list then you will come to know that there is enough space for the additional data ad it is also cleared that the partition 2 is the data partition, so if anyone wants to store the firmware then they will just have to sort out first 21.5GB, in order to find out the exact size one can use 'fdisk -lu /dev/sda' on the disk and after that make a note of the startsector of partition 2. When you are done till here then go for dumping and compressing using the below code:
    dd if=/dev/sda count=startsector_of_part2 | lzma >/path/to/much/free/room/CE.lzma
    If everything goes well then the CE.lzma will have a manageable size.
    If you want to restore then you can invert the sequence using the below command:
    cat /path/to/CE.lzma | lzma -d | dd of=/dev/sda
    When you are done with the same then just make sure that you are having the right sda and after that you can use fdisk for deleting the partition 2 and then recreating the same, I am not very sure if you will have to use a filesystem on partition 2 or not because as far as I am aware it does not uses plain partition but then it uses a logical volume, so you will have to check out for the same. Hope that helps.

I have tried following the Installing firmware on a new disk (Home Media) guide but then the NAS drive is not booting when I am plugging the power cube to the drive then the power light is coming on the HDD and it is flashing once but the not after it, I have checked out the routers "attached devices" list but the I am not able to find out an IP address assigned to the HMNHD-CE, I have tried using the power button as well as the reset button but then it is not making any difference, if anyone wants more detail about my case then the model number on the back is HMND2, actually I had formatted the drive accidentally and now I am willing to get it to factory setting. I have tried using LiveUSB linux boot so as for booting Fedora Linux in my system and have disconnected the HDD from HMNHD-CE and have also attached the same to the Linux system with the help of SATA-USB enclosure, since I have already mentioned that I have followed the above guide for creating the partition 1 & 2 and restoring the mbr+uboot+kernel.gz and sda1-2064.tgz images I am able to see that the HMNHD-CE HDD is having partitioned with 4.2 GB for Partition 1 and Partition 2 but then the partition in my case was not 21 GB, so this is making me feel that the images from the guide are not applicable for the my model, I am really running out of ideas now and I don’t know what to do, is there anyone who can help me out with the same??? Any help for this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

In my case I have created a equivalent "mbr+uboot+kernel.gz and sda1-2064.tgz" files for Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition following the instructions that has been mentioned in the above guide, actually it was from a 'clean' 1TB version but then I have restored it to a 2TB drive and have formatted the remaining 1.8TB to XFS and have tried running the NAS, during this the software and GUI seems ot be working well but then I don’t know for what reason there are no shares, there is no free space and it is appearing to be 1.8TB, I have tried creating new shares as well but then it did not helped and I got an error message saying "The selected function is not available due to the state of the pools." I have checked out for the LVM partition as well and it is not appearing to be available for the device, some people have suggested me that I will have to create the LV group and then make the same available for the OS but then I am not sure how will do that, currently I have logged in OS, so is there anyone who can help me out as well???