Thread: How to do a system recovery for Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d

How to do a system recovery for Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d

I have been using Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d and now I am having issues in booting it, actually I have recently done a format on all 3 disk and since then the system is not booting, I have been trying to boot it up but then the system is just showing network and the usb symbol. It appears as if the partition for all the 4 disks has gone but then I am not sure about the same, I just wanted to know if there is a download or image file available somewhere having the OS partition if the partition for all the 4 disks might have gone or is there anything I can try out here, I don’t want to get Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d bricked, so please help!

Re: How to do a system recovery for Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d

I think that I can help you out here, actually I was having the same case before and I had tried out downloading acronis true image tib-files and making a restore, I had also tried out using backuped images but then they were not making any difference and I was still not able to get the system booting but them later while looking after a solution for the same in some other forms as well I read something about the ix2 and then later I was able to solve the issue by adapting a tutorial for ix2 which I had found on the web to ix4 and now my ix4-200d is working without any issues, if you want then you can try out the same.
    • First disconnect all the internal drives from the system and then connect your sata drives and then boot the system from a knoppix linux 6.7 cd, if you are not having a knoppix linux 6.7 cd then you can get the iso and then create a bootable usb thumb drive, so when you are ready with the same then just open the terminal and then enter the below command for deleting the partition table from all the connected hard disks:

knoppix@0[knoppix]: su
    root@0[knoppix]: fdisk -l

-l like list

• Once you are done with the same then you will be able to see the drives listed, so just check out for the usb thumb drive and makes sure that you are not deleting the partition table of your usb.

root@0[knoppix]: fdisk /dev/sda
    root@0[knoppix]: o
    root@0[knoppix]: w

root@0[knoppix]: fdisk /dev/sdb

root@0[knoppix]: fdisk /dev/sdc

root@0[knoppix]: fdisk /dev/sdd

• Now after the above commands make sure that you are shutting down the system and then booting with the disks back into the ix4,here you can format a usb thumb drive with fat32 and then make a folders on the usb thumb drive:

X:\emctools\ix4-200d_images
    • Now just download the file emctools.7z and then extract the same and then drag it to the USB thumb drive and then it should look like this X:\emctools\ix4-200d_images\ix4-boot.tgz

• After that turn off the NAS and then connect the usb thumb drive and then press and hold the reset button for 30 to 60 seconds until the thumb drive starts blinking, release the reset-button when the usb thumb drive starts blinking, if it does not work for you for the first time then you can try out the same again, I had used the below script from the tutorial I had followed:

ifw=/media/sdc1/x4-200d-ix4-200d-2.1.38.22294.tgz # the original firmware
    ofw=${ifw%.tgz}-decrypted.tar.gz
    ix4=${ifw%.tgz}-files
    usb=/media/sdc1 # your fat32 formated usb thumb drive

mkdir -p $ix4/images
    mkdir -p $ix4/update
    mkdir -p $ix4/apps

openssl enc -d -aes-128-cbc -in $ifw -k "EMCNTGSOHO" -out $ofw
    tar xzvf $ofw -C $ix4/update/

imgs=$(find $ix4/update/)
    for img in ${imgs} ; do
    if [ -f $img.md5 ] ; then
    mv $img $ix4/images/
    mv $img.md5 $ix4/images/
    fi
    done

mount -o loop,ro $ix4/images/apps $ix4/apps
    cp -p $ix4/apps/usr/local/cfg/config.gz $ix4/images/
    umount $ix4/apps
    gunzip $ix4/images/config.gz

img=$ix4/images/config
    md5=$(md5sum $img)
    md5=${md5% *}
    md5=${md5% }
    echo "$md5" > $img.md5

cd $ix4/images/
    tar czvf ../ix4-boot.tgz *

mkdir -p $usb/emctools/ix4-200d_images/
    cp $ix4/ix4-boot.tgz $usb/emctools/ix4-200d_images/

Just try out the same and then let me know if it is helping you out.

I have tried following the same but then I am still having a brick for an iomega, I have checked out for the boot download but then I am not getting it anywhere it is appearing ad if it is not available anymore, I have been trying to get the script work on the current ix4-200d firmware download and I have used the firmware update application for creating a USB drive bootable and have created the boot.gz file as well but then I am still not having any luck so far, I just wanted to know if there is anyone who can help me out using all the 3 drives in my case? I also wanted to know that have will I have to use 1 TB drives or I can use drive having other sizes as well, in my case I am having some drives and I have arranged one form a damaged NAS so can I use the same drive for imaging and restoring mine, what do you think about the same will it be possible?? Any further help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

In that case I will like to inform you that the disks won’t matter but then just make sure that you are deleting the partitions before using them, I don’t think that the size will matter as well, I am sorry I should have provide you the link for the download, I thought that you will be able to find it out but then now I have searched for the same and have found that the download has been removed from no of sites but then it is luckily available at the depositfiles site, so you can get it from there, I also wanted to add that make sure that you are not forgetting to use the Iomega FirmwareUpdater to format the usb drives, just try it out and then let me know if it is helping, if you have any further queries then feel free to ask. Best of luck.

I have now downloaded the boot download and have followed the solution that has been mentioned above but then when I am rebooting the system then the device is just displaying IOmega logo in the display, it appears as if it is trying to access the disk once every 10-15 seconds as it is flashing the logo every 10-15 seconds, I thought that there was something wrong with the USB key but then by now I have tried out 4 USB keys and I am getting the same response from them, I thought that everything will be going fine as it was reading the key for some time and had showed the progress bar on the display as well but then it powered off when it reached about 75 and I got iomega logo for about 10 seconds rather than getting the usb symbol, I have tried out pulling the hard disks and deleting the partition table but then it is not appearing to be making any difference, I don’t think that I am missing anything ? What do you think about the same? Is there anything else that I can try out to get rid of this issue??