Thread: No earthing pin in power cable of Seasonic S12ii Bronze PSU

No earthing pin in power cable of Seasonic S12ii Bronze PSU

I was assembling a computer today and I was about to attach the PSU in my cabinet. After attaching the PSU, I went to work on its power cable. At this moment I found that the plug on the power cable had only two pins and the earthing cable was missing. It wasn’t tampered or damaged, but the model of the plug didn’t have any sign of its existence or any possibility of having one. The spike guard that I am using has all the connection spots for three pin socket. The power cables for monitor, printer and scanner all have three pin plugs. They all fit in the spike guard very well. This two pin plug doesn’t even fit properly in the slot of three pin plugs. Should I change the power cable or should I go with it?

Re: No earthing pin in power cable of Seasonic S12ii Bronze PSU

You can buy a socket adapter that will be available at the local hardware store. Show him the two pin cable and ask for 3 pin adapter. It will work in any three pin slot. Regarding the missing earthing pin on your power cable, it is used to protect the devices that consume large amount of electricity from power spikes. These power spikes can easily damage the device if it is not stopped. But since you are using a spike guard to connect the PSU to main electric source, you shouldn’t worry about the power spikes that might occur in the flow of electricity. The spike guard has in-built architecture and hardware to control such spikes. You can use the two pin connector without any fear. You should avoid the plugging the power cable directly in the electric plug as the there is no earthing pin to stop the energy spikes that might occur.