Thread: How to optimize a Mac Pro system for video editing?

How to optimize a Mac Pro system for video editing?

Hello friend, I have bought a new Mac Pro system at my place for my project business purpose. The thing is that recently I have signed a huge Video Project for a client and I am working or it using FCPX, now what I need is to optimize the performance and also the reliability of the system which I am having and going to use for the project. I have been already told that the system files are supposed to be separately placed on to my own working files, I mean on a separate hard drive. Further details about the drive; I have two internal hard drives connected to the system and therefore what I need to ask now is whether I can simply move the User folders into one of the drive or into the 2nd hard drive. Is it necessary for the user folder to be placed or live on the same hard drive as the system files? And also another thing is that do I simply need to move the video files that I am talking about to the 2nd hard drive. Let me tell you that along with the video editing I also prefer to do 3D animation and therefore I would really like those files to be somehow present on the 2nd hard drive, so please let me know whether doing this is a successful idea or it’s a kind of risk for me. I am not in an intention to drop the idea anyhow, but then too for a safer side I am just consulting you, if yes I will surely do it and if not then I will have to think twice but anyhow I will do it.

Re: How to optimize a Mac Pro system for video editing?

Look everything is possible in a Mac Pro; you can easily move your User Folder into some other internal hard drive. This is not going to affect you in any of the ways but remember that there are certain things that you need to know and make sure that those are the important criteria that are supposed to be fulfilled in your machine in order to get a successful result. First of all:
    • Make sure that your system contains enough RAM installed. Max RAM space is very much necessary for the things possible. Let me know what your RAM size is.
    • You need to install an OS that is supposed to be a 64-bit OS. Now the reason for having a 64 bit OS is that your application after this will be able to fully utilize over more than 4GB of RAM.
    • You also need Boot drive. The boot drive should be with the System, Library, Applications, and also with the hidden UNIX files only. Other than this you need a Source drive or an array, then a Destination drive or an array.
    • Not the best ones but at least a sufficient amount of processor cores that should be able to run as fast as your wallet is allowed and in the case of a tie, remember more GHz always beats up more processors
    • Now specifying the thing, you need 12-cores @ 3.33GHz. I am not sure but I guess unfortunately Apple do not sell out that configuration. Anyways you can get it confirmed from some of the local retailer shop.
    • Ram sound not be less or equal to 24GB, I mean to say that it should be definitely higher than 24GB. Once equal amount of Ram is finding but it should not be lesser in size, and also remember that go for a RAM depending on graphics. Other than Ram you also need a Disk drivers, rather you need some more disk drives. Remember that disk drives should be more than two or even four is enough.
    • Also get two sets of back up for all your important data and the projects, hope you understand the need for the backup. Its one of the most important process you need to do otherwise you will be in a trouble. So better back up all the important things or if possible everything. And also do clone the system completely including the backup.
    • And most importantly you need a pair of WD Black 2TB though for editing, they are best. I have bought one recently for my system and trust me they are as fast as 7.2k drives.

There are some who have DIV with some deep pockets and then have replaced the stock processors with X5680s. anyways if not four disk drive simply go for two, its not necessary for buying four you can stay with two also. I think two is what you can afford.

That’s really a cool question you have asked I must say. After reading out your thread I felt like even I am in a similar situation and need as you are. I do have a SSD drive of OWC 120GB. And on this SSD I put up the applications and then I have 4 x 2TB hard drives. Other than this the rest is the advice which even you want on setting up everything. As far as I know, I guess I need a want 2 x 2TB drives for the work purpose and 2 x 2TB drives for Time Machine backup. I a completely unsure about getting a SSD drive to stay only with applications and settings and then getting the 2 X 2TB drives to be able to record data. I still remember the last time I tried coping all the information and data on a hard drive, the case was that I was not able to get the second one for recording anything and this time I am unsure and I don’t want to committee that mistake again. Then I upgraded just because one of the 2TB drives was almost full and also the backup has been somehow tedious, it’s a Mac Pro tower 2010. I know that I will have to now move the data from the 2TB drive to some other drive or a new 2 X 2TB drive. Once everything is set then I am sure that I can get back and wipe out the drive and set up the time machine on the two. If ever you find any suggestion or solution also let me know for the same.

Look optimizing the system performance is always recommended in order to get huge amount of free space on the startup drive. Generally if asked me I always try to maintain my drives by following certain rules and limits, in short I always see to it that I keep almost half of the drive space free and I follow this always. By doing I end up getting plenty of space and room for the OS X virtual memory requirement and then keep up the files within the reach for the quick access and system response. Other than this it also help to reduce the file fragmentations. Having a huge and large size capacity drive is not at a problem or an issue but if you have a drive with small capacity then definitely you have something to worry especially if you have large photos or movies or music collections then free space can surely be an issue.

The only solution for such problem is to simply move the files to the second hard drive. And the best way to move all the files is to keep the system drive for OS X and the applications only and then remove any requirement for alias folders or other hassles and the move the Home Folder.

The correct answer for your question definitely lies in my post. First of all let me tell you that moving folders to the second hard drive is very much possible. And In order to move the Home folder you have to do nothing but just follow my steps.
    • If you notice there will be a home icon in your system drive into your User folder. That folder is called as a home folder, just because it is an active home folder home icon is assigned to it.
    • Now you need to copy that folder to the new or the 2nd hard drive. You can do this by copy pasting or drag and drop method. Moving the folder will simply move all the enclosed files and the folders to the chosen volume and also it will copy the content leaving back the original in place.
    • An important thing that is to be noted is that the copied folder until now will not have a house icon and therefore it has not been assigned as the active folder.
    • Open the system preference and then open up the Accounts Pane
    • Now unlock the Accounts Pane. And then once you do it just below the accounts list window click on the padlock and then enter your admin account details.
    • Now try CTL or right click on the admin account name in order to invoke the advanced options menu. After that select the Advanced Options.
    • Along with a warning message a fresh and new pane with the advanced settings is to be open. You need not have to worry about the warning unless and until you start changing and modifying thing more than what you need.
    • Other than this the only settings that is need to be changed is the Home Directory filed. This home directory field is the OS X path that is required for the OS X for locating the home folder.
    • Now if you need to set the new Home folder location you need to click on Choose and then browse to the home folder that you have already shifted toward the new drive.
    • You are now allowed to select the new location and also the Home Directory path that will change. This change takes place to reflect the new path and nothing else.

After you complete following each and every steps make sure that you restart the machine and then login as normally you do. Now you should be able to check out the home folder at the new location and you should also be able to see the House icon. And if the house icon is present over there then its confirmed that the home folder has been successfully moved and also activated. Now onwards whenever you try to save to Documents, all the items like movies and photos will be however placed into that newer location in the corresponding folders within the home folder. Now you are allowed to delete or remove the contents and data of the older home folder and the sub folders in order to free up the space.

I am not sure how much fact lies in my saying but I have been said that the Home folder should not be moved anywhere; they say that this folder contains the Library file which has the Operation Software. Not just the complete Home folder but also the folders under User with the Icon which you are discussing to move should be kept at its original place. I actually messed up naming the folders under the folders with icons on it and then moving them all together which are copied to the new 2TB drive. However I copied from near full 1TB drive and removed the original ones to the trash.

Its better recommended to go for a free download of Disk inventory for locating the files that actually eats up data and then check the data that was relocated to some other drive. After this you can without any fear release all the data from trash i.e. you can empty the trash. Later on I did made an Alias on the Desktop which actually used 0KB on my SSD drive and also made it quite easy to find out the folders and the data that were stored on my 2TB drives. In order to get the iTunes Library moved to 2TB drive I used some other process. What I did was in iTunes Preferences Advanced I was able to change the iTunes Media Folder Location and then change the volume from there. If you are able to get large sized files to some other drive i.e. files like movies, photos or music etc simply minimize the data on to your solid state drive where you can simply put up the applications, user home folders and then fit as per your need. With the help of my big laptop and swapping the drives between I was successfully able to play with things with all data intact. I would only suggest you to better be careful with the data partitioning with your drives. During the initial time I did made a mistake and I wiped out the complete 2TB drive but fortunately I somehow managed to recover the entire data as I always use to prefer taking the back up of my data. That was the good and the best thing I always do.