Thread: How to normalize the volume of my PC?

How to normalize the volume of my PC?

Hi! I am this music freak like every college going guy. Since I don’t really mingle up with people that well, they are the only companions I have. Even when I travel I cannot find a better co-traveler. However, I am very particular when it comes to volume. Since I am a listener to all kinds of music, I want every type of music to sound the way it should. For example, there are situations where in I would like to listen to a very soft and sweet kind of music and the volume I expect to be is very low and soothing and when I feel like listening to rock, I want the volume to be that way. Of course, they come in the very same way but recently, I happened to change my PC and now the entire volume setting has changed to mess. This happened after I deleted formatted my iPod and copy-pasted these songs again from my new PC and I think the issue is with the same. So, I want to know of ways to change the volume settings of my songs and make it very normal so that I can listen it in the same old format that I used to. How do I go about this now?

I have tried the sound check on my iPod which did not yield me any special results. I want to know the reasons behind this and ofcourse, the fix!

Re: How to normalize the volume of my PC?

I like this No-compromise attitude of today’s young lot. Being very picky and choosy about things is always the right thing to do. Talking about your issue, I don’t understand from where did the change of PC come into scenario. No PC is preinstalled with systems that can change the volume settings of the phone. Also, I did not understand your purpose behind using the sound check since the sound check works only with certain formats of audio files like: .mp3, .AAC, .wav, and .aiff and also if you want to find the volume data you can probably find them on the ID3 tag

Hi there, thanks for such a quick response. I happened to find out the format is all over the format chart. Some of them are V1.0, some of them are V2.2 and V2.3, also some of them lack an ID3 tag only. The message that I get when I try checking their tag is that they are encoded by the iTunes v4.8.0.32, also quicktime 6.5.2 is among others in the list. Also, I have been using my device from 2003 now,that is almost a decade and there have been no volume issues as yet but ever since I tried copying it from the new PC, things have changed. I agree that no new system comes with a flaw of automatically editing the sound settings of a system. This might sound a bit overboard and unreal but isn’t there a very strong possibility of some virus or malware doing so? Atleast I suspect it

No, I don’t agree to that by any chance since there is a very rare chance of this happening. I am not trying to imply that I am this accumulation of information but if anything of this sort ever existed, I would have atleast heard of such a disastrous malware atleast once.

I still insist that it is the music format which is at clear fault. The sound check works with only four formats and you need to convert all your audio files to them. The most easiest way to achieve this would be to simply select all the songs in a playlist and then create a possible MP3 version of this playlist.

I would like to mention an extract from the apple’s article which speaks about the song format conversions for better understanding of the issue

Please Note: Whenever you are trying to convert the reverse of compression that is from a compressed audio file to an uncompressed one, you will not find any sort of sound quality issue infact things might simply improve. But if you try to switch between the compressed formats, a considerable amount of quality loss can be possibly noticed. If you want the music to have the best possible quality you should reimport the music file from the source where it originally existed by using the latest encoding format.

In order to convert a file format, please follow the following steps, this will surely help you in a great way:
    - To start with you need to first open the iTunes Preferences page which is used to change the original settings to desired ones.
    o If you are using Windows OS of the latest version, you can follow the path of iTunes> Edit> Preferences
    o In case, you have opted to use the Macintosh OS, you should instead be following the path if iTunes> Preferences
    - Click on the General Button available on the preferences window and then simply click on the Importing Settings button on the second section
    - You will get a pop-menu which reads: import using, you can chose the encoding format that you would want the song to be converted into
    - To go ahead and to save all the setting changes that you have just done, press on the OK button, this will save settings
    - You can select a song or more than one song from the song library of your system
    - The menu item will change as per your selection and preference change in the importing preference
    - Go to the advanced tab that you will find there and chose from one of the following:
    o Create MP3 version
    o Create AAC version
    o Create AIFF version
    o Create WAV version
    o Create Apple Lossless version

If you have not yet done this or if you are yet to import some songs to the iTunes you can easily import and convert them simultaneously. This action of yours will help in creating a copy of the converted format of your file into your iTunes library will be based on your iTunes preference settings.

- If you wish to create a converted copy of all the songs which belong to a particular folder in your on the disk you need to

o hold down the Option Key which is available on Mac or the Shift key available on Windows
    o And from there chose advanced, go to Convert Import Preference Settings.
    o The import preference settings will be totally similar to the ones that you have chosen in step 3.
    o iTunes will ask you to chose the location of the folder or disk that is supposed to be Imported and converted
    o All the songs in the folder will be imported and concerted as per your desire.
    - There are some songs that are purchased and exists in a protected format, these songs cannot be converted
    - Not all purchased files give you an issue, the ones purchased from iTunes plus are not protected and can be easily converted
    - Both, the original ones and the just converted ones will appear in you library