Thread: Vertex 3 SSD works perfectly without any BSOD and Freeze

Vertex 3 SSD works perfectly without any BSOD and Freeze

I just want to share my experience with VerteX 3 because in my case it worked with no freezes and BSOD. I have installed a new Vertex 3 (120 GB). On Lenovo Thinkpad W520 after replacing the older Toshiba 500 GB disk. By the use of Acronis True Image Home 2011 I got the C: image on the Vertex 3. First I have experience slight freezing in Firefox but it solved later by the LPM fix (registry fix). Now everything runs smooth. The sleep mode and hibernate mode works fine and no issues when waking up. In order to work with vertex 3 SSD like this you have to get the following things:
    • SSD should have the latest FirmWare
    • latest RST should be installed
    • LPM Fix
    • AHCI should be set in BIOS
    • Partition Alignment
    • Switch Superfetch to manual
    • Disable Prefetch
    • Turned off Defrag
    • Turned off Drive Indexing
    • Page file: set it to 400 MB.

Re: Vertex 3 SSD works perfectly without any BSOD and Freeze

With Firefox I am keep getting BSOD every 3 days now. When browsing, the Firefox freezes and that is even only with few tabs opened and after that the whole system freeze. When freezes and If try CTRL/ALT/DEL, the system won’t respond at all. In seconds it shows a BSOD. Even I tried with plug-ins disabled.

OCZ Technology has released new firmware for solid state drives from the Vertex 3 -, 3 Max Vertex IOPS, Agility 3 - and 3-Series Solid. The firmware update is only possible if the drive does the system disk of Windows. The change log mentions three problems solved. But it is really not a good thing for a user-level application like Firefox causing BSOD and freeze. Usually this happens with often used/disk intensive application. If you put more stress on SSD, you will likely see more bug or BSODS. You cannot blame Firefox for that because it is working as it is intended.

I had my Vertex 3 MI updated to 2.11 and 2.13, but both continued to give BSOD's and disappear from the BIOS. So I went back to 2.09. Now updated to 2.15 and must say that this is so far doing well. The whole evening running game from the SSD, it seems to go well.

Up to now, it looks promising!

I have had many problems with version 2.06 and 2.08, but after the update to 2.09 no problem! I think that the problem depends on which version you are using toolbox, with v2.35, this fact still all subsequent releases. Also My suspicion is a 'power state' issue with icm intel chipset drivers (and given the F4 9F BSOD error messages).I have this simple to update to version 2.08 and keep it there as well as in view of the postings on the OCZ forum, the Vertex 3 MAX IOPS works fine with 2.08 firmware. For information, this disc works on the SATA 2 but not even turn half its rated speed. Like for those who think putting on a SATA 3 expansion card, was thought to have a PCI Express 4x minimum as well as in SATA 2, the disk will not work has barely half the speed.

Try disabling the TRIM?

In my case the Sleep mode, cache settings and TRIM worked fine with SSD. I assume that it is not a SSD bug but it is a SF controller bugs which could not be fixed easily by yourself. I don’t tell you to turn off this feature. If you think that it is a Intel's fault, then they should provide solution. In my case those SSDs are stable Marvell SATA3 Controllers