Thread: System is freezing with red light on ocz vertex 2 ssd

System is freezing with red light on ocz vertex 2 ssd

I have recently added ocz vertex 2 ssd in my system and then problem that I am facing with the same is that the system gets froze with the red light on and at that the time all the applications and the windows stops responding, I am just able to use the mouse but then clicking on something is not making any difference, later after sometime the system gets rebooted and then I get an message saying “disk can't be found” I have tried updating the firmware to the 1.33 but then it is not making any difference the only solution that has helped me out is rebooting, is there anyone who has an idea about this issue and can help me out with a permanent solution for this??

Re: System is freezing with red light on ocz vertex 2 ssd

Even I a m running in to same issue with the ocz vertex 2 ssd, the system just keeps on freezing and after sometimes it reboots on its own and then I get a bsod saying that a critical process or thread has been terminated and so, I have found that at this time the ssd does not appears to be recognized in the bios and I have to reboot the system to get it detected but then I don’t know why the system just freezes after one minute of the login, I have checked out the resources manager and it appeared as if the drive had lost connection before the crash had occurred, I have upgraded the firmware from 1.25 to 1.33 but then it is not making any difference and the issue is still the same, is there anything else that I can try out to get rid of this issue??

I don’t think that why you both are having such issues with the ocz vertex 2 ssd, I mean that these drive works fine when the controller is set to AHCI mode, so make sure it is set to it, other than this make sure that you are having the latest firmware, the firmware version 1.33 is quite old so better check it out and get the latest one, if that does not work then you will have to perform Secure Erasing and then making a fresh installation of the os on the same, just install windows 7 from scratch and make sure you are installing with AHCI option in BIOS and it should help, just try it out and then let me know which possible solution is helping. Best of luck.

I was having the same issue previously and I think that the cause of the sudden disappearing of the drive and the appearing of the red light signals is the internal data-structure being invalid and ion order to solve the same we will have to delete the files/directories which are incorrect in there, just to explain the same in detail, I am having a OCZ Vertex 2 90GB drive and I have been using the same from almost a year and even I had never upgraded the SSD's firmware, it was having the 1.25.i was having the same issue but then I was able to solve it out, I had used GParted for copying the complete partition of the drive to other for the backup purpose and had tried out the firmware (1.35) but then it really did not helped. Later I used another Windows 7 installation and then just made a copy of the files from ssd to other HDD and at this time I waited for getting pops up saying 'could not read, want to try again?' and when I got it then I had disconnected the SATA power from the SSD and connected it again but then I found that while retrying out the copy-process the drive just disappeared with red light on, during this I found that the Windows was copying files from Abode Bridge CS5 cache and the path for the same was /Users/<Username>/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Bridge CS5. So I just removed the complete Adobe/Bridge CS5 from my profile and since then I am not having the same issue, I was able to copy the complete partition using GParted as well. Just try it out and then let me know if it is helping you all out as well or not, I am quite sure that it will so just try it out and then post back the result that you get for my solution.

I will like to share that I have tried out downloading CZ toolbox (Linux) for doing a secure erase and I have used the same and had made a fresh installation of the windows as well and it appeared to be helping for some time but then the issue started again, when I had connected the drive then it used to get red for half a second and then green for a minute and so and then again red, anyways I have now solved out my Red Light problem by following the solution that has been mentioned above it was really helpful, if anyone else is having the same issue with ocz vertex 2 ssd then I will suggest them to try out the above solution, it is really helpful, I hope that I don’t run in to the same issue again after this solution.