Thread: SATA HDD password support on Lenovo ThinkServer RD210

SATA HDD password support on Lenovo ThinkServer RD210

I am looking forward to purchase a few RD210 servers. But what I needed is, these servers should support SATA HDD passwords so that it can ask for user or supervisor HDD password if I previously configured for the drives at boot time. I am still not clear about whether RD210 does provide support for SATA HDD passwords or not.

Re: SATA HDD password support on Lenovo ThinkServer RD210

I assume that power-on password on SATA HDD can be set according to the System installation procedure and User Guide. If you have downloaded the installation guide, you might notice an option to set HDD password for user or supervisor. If you cannot find in the user guide, then assume that it is not yet supported.

What you are telling is about the power-up password which I am completely aware about it. But this is not the password support which I am asking for. What I need is SATA HDD password support. I think that this support is part of the SATA spec.

What I am looking for is a data-at-rest security for the HDD data. it will provide a better security in case the disk gets stolen. I need a hardware self encrypting disks (SED) in the server. Software encryption does not provide better security for this. The system should ask for the HDD user or master password no matter what system it is used. The system should not show whether the disk is encrypted or not

I think that it is all about the referring to BIOS. However there are several manufacturers who provide third-party RAID controllers which will feature full-disk encryption on FDE/BDE SAS/SATA drives but some says that RD210 cannot handle these RAID controllers natively. Take a look at the LSI FDE drives as they offer HBAs which is capable to handle encryption. Due to this you can set passwords on RAID arrays which are different from onboard controller or any of the HBAs on thinkserver.

There are at least three types of HDD password protection:
    • HDD BIOS pre-boot
    • HDD boot EEPROM
    • HDD MBR bootblock / Software Protection

When stored, the HDD password in BIOS / EEPROM, it can also be reset by the BIOS. This requires the identical hardware (motherboard). If the password protection has been saved by software on the HDD itself, one must know the software.

"Password" option is included in the ATA specification and is supported by all ATA hard disks (i.e. PATA and SATA). You can assign this option in BIOS's but only here it is usually not available. Some PCs and notebooks as Dell, FSC, Compaq, HP offer this option.

If deep freeze had thought, but as work with the notebook is impractical to have to reboot to enable or disable the modification of files. My point is that I would like to pass to the HDD so that if it was stolen could not be formatted. There are several programs to encrypt a portion of the disk and hide, which is quite useful for storing information 100% private, but I want to take it to the fact that if you put the HDD in any other notebook cannot be used without the key.

There are 2 levels of password protection on computers, and say in computers as Dell, Toshiba, HP, Compaq, etc. use these levels of protection, the difference is that some models do and some do not. The level of protection at the Dell BIOS password through an access that will not let you anything except display the "INSERT PASSWORD", after 3 failed attempts off, all software and cracking occurred have not used since it can not start loading an operating system or by external disk, or USB, or floppy. The other level of protection is at the level of the hard disk via the BIOS of the computer is turned on password protection for access, and does not let you boot or access the hard drive in any way if you insert the key to start first. All computers have a DELL Service Tag (can not remember) 13 numbers to access the BIOS and 12 numbers to access the hard drive, whether 13 or 12 know that the password level is activated.