Thread: Does missing center dome of speaker affects sound quality

Does missing center dome of speaker affects sound quality

I had seen a guy selling his speaker on the web. He made is really stylish by giving a wooden cover. It is good condition. I had contacted him and asked for more pictures of the same. I saw there is a dome of one speaker is missing. It does really looks weird as it is not easily noticeable. But I want to know that does it can cause any failure to the sound quality. Will it create any crackling or bad sound when I play it on a higher volume. I am not able to figure out information on the same. I asked my friend who repair speakers and he said that no that does not really effects. The difference in sound is hardly visible to human hear. But I think this will effect the speaker performance. What is that part and for what it is used for. Can I replace that with my own hands. If yes then how. Another thing, if that things is removed entirely does it reduces the life of speaker. I am trying to find more appropriate answer on the same. So if that is a major issue, I can think of going for a new one. Which is better as I can get a 1 year warranty on the same.

Re: Does missing center dome of speaker affects sound quality

It is just the dust cap. You do not need to worry about that. It does not have any issue to speaker if it is removed entirely. Anyhow you can replace that or just carry the speaker to any nearby show. It is more cheaper. There is a kind of voice coil in the center of speaker. This dust cap is just fitted on that to protect that part from dust. It is widely available in the market and you can fix that easily. Just go on web and find some video on it. You can search on YouTube also. I do not think that effect the speaker sound frequency.

Right it is the dust cap. The most important part which effects the sound is the voice coil. If that is affected then you can face the issue of bad sound quality. If the coil is damaged the sound will not work. The dust cap protects the coil from getting damaged. So there is a way to fix it out. You can buy the dust cap from wherever you want on web and fix the same to the speaker. Anyhow it is not complicated to do that. One thing you must check that if the coil is damaged you can do nothing to fix it. So better support it is recommended that you must keep the same inside some cover. For buying the speaker check and then purpose. Many times there is a whooshing noise in the speaker which makes it more higher as the time passes. So if you are having any kind of scratchy noise get rid of the same.

Yes you can replace that. But I will recommend you to do not with your own hands. Get some help of carry it to a repair shop. There are certain tools needed to fix the same or else you can damage it more. There is a guide on the web which offer you a entire process with images to replace it and fix a new one. I will too recommend to buy a new one instead of going with the older speaker. As new product you get warranty and more enhanced version.