Thread: Hard drive died with Error code 1000-0142

Hard drive died with Error code 1000-0142

hi guys

I need little help on this issue, no w I am guessing that my hard drive is out but I was just wondering that anyone here knows anything about the Error code 1000-0142, what this mean. I just ran this troubleshooting disk which I got form the dell and following message shows up

Code:
    DST SHORT STATUS TEST--FAIL
    ERROR CODE 1000-0142

MSG:UNIT4: DRIVE SELF TEST FAIL

Is there any one here can tell me what this error code means , I will be really glad to know ?

Re: Hard drive died with Error code 1000-0142

One thing for sure that the hard drive has bad sector and the best that you can do about this is to replace the HDD . well I like to tell you that I myself having this issue and I was told to replace the hard disc , right now I am just waiting of there any way out of this as I can afford to buy the new hard disc now .

Like to suggest you that before you people go ahead and buy the new hard disc try this simple thing and see if that help you . just boot form the windows XP CD and select the repair option on the first prompt to go to the recovery console. Then type the "chkdsk c: /p/r" on the prompt . continue doing this until you stop getting the error and after that Exit and reboot , I can say this will help you as it did to me . do I have to buy a new OS cd

You shouldn’t got to purchase a new OS as long as you have got the merchandise key code. you'll be able to use any installation CD of a similar version as is currently put in. Backup up vital information currently and think about backing up the drivers into the discount. Dell typically has them in an exceedingly drivers folder on the C drive. Don't trust a drive that shows any sign of failure. The restore partition may be imaged to DVD or CDs or to an external drive using BiNG. really all the partition s may be damaged during this approach if you have got enough area. the pictures will then be used to revive the system onto a replacement drive. Personally i'd get a replacement drive in an exceedingly usb enclosure and clone this onto the new drive. Then swap the drives from enclosure to laptop and use the first drive as a backup device - for as long because it continues to operate after all.

It looks just like the HDD is shot and the first concern at this time must to be attempting to avoid wasting your information. usually times when a HDD begins to travel out like this you have got a really less use left in it and you must to not boot it up needlessly since every boot up could also be the last it will handle. Once the info is safe then you'll be able to attempt a running a repair on it however i do not apprehend if i'd trust the drive any further.

Well I I actually have damaged sectors on the hard drive and that i guess that I will have to replace the however

Is there any approach si that I can recover anything? Most, however not all, of my stuff is saved...

Yep, you got another computer and then plug this HD into the that machine that will ensuring there is many part on the HD OK, then transfer all the things if it works (it might). After that Call dell and rant at them, HDs go along with a three year warranty; it must to be under a guarantee somehow.

I did what you was said that ways to recover the HDD but I am not able to work it as it showing failed to boot from CD error . it showing the Error loading operating system I did tried to connect my SATA hard disk on the exterior of a PC. And it showing the Malfunction and failed to install the hard disk. Is there any one here can a help me on this I will be really appreciating this thanks

You replaced the drive? this is often a hard drive failure. If replacing the drive did not facilitate then it should mean there is a issue with the particular connector on the motherboard for the hard drive.