Thread: How to set login & password for SMTP in Creative Webcam email settings

How to set login & password for SMTP in Creative Webcam email settings

I don’t know whether this topic has been discusses detailed somewhere else or not but I couldn’t able find a single post regarding it. I have purchased a creative webcam NX Ultra and setting it is a monitoring cam and sends an email when some motion or movement is detected. There is a problem with the configuration. The SMTP server requires a login & password. I don’t know how to and where to set it. Can anyone help me?

Re: How to set login & password for SMTP in Creative Webcam email settings

As far as I know that SMTP is not typically an authentication based. It seems to me that due to spams, the SMTP servers moved to network checking before sending any email through it. There is no need of login or authentication, in order for SMTP transfer. However if you are using a POP3, then it typically requires authentication.

You may need to get the SMTP settings from your email provider or ISP. Having a webcam capable of motion detection is useful, but you'll need some way of monitoring the video feed when you are not at their desk, so you need to configure webcam for you to send snapshots by e-mail every time it is activated motion detector. If you are a user of Gmail, you can find the Google SMTP settings. Otherwise, you will need to consult your email provider or ISP for SMTP settings. If you still encounter difficulties, do not forget that you can fully use the SMTP of your Internet Service Provider. Remember to disable SMTP authentication: service providers automatically identify you through your IP connection.

I don’t think that you are having problem with the SMTP settings if you have disabled the authentication. I think that you are having problem wit the DNS Settings of your camera. Can you tell me whether it is configured with a functional DNS server IP or netmask. Make sure that default gateway correctly set. The netmask will be 255.255.255.0 or /24 in general and the default gateway will distribute the first 3 sets of numbers with IP address of the camera and router LAN IP.

I have read a few documentation regarding SMTP and came to know that Dyn Standard SMTP (previously MailHop Outbound) doesn't require SSL/TLS. So it is recommended to have SMTP with SSL. Read the setup instructions and go through the general settings .

There are several ways to put a reserved area under surveillance, but in this case you would like to illustrate a system with real-time notification on the phone. To do this you use the software to detect movements of the Creative Live! Cam Voice, because it allows you to capture a video of the intruder in the monitored area and send a snapshot as an email attachment. If instead we use the address of any associated email us by phone, we can exploit the SMS notification service offered by the telephone, to know at any time if the mailbox for new messages. At that point you simply connect to the Internet and view a snapshot of what happened.

It always good to create an email account specifically for the intrusion detection software, because the SMS notification only displays the e-mail address and nothing else.

I have exactly the same problem. I have installed the right software for the web cam for surveillance purpose but nothing showed up. I think I mis-configured. In the system configuration, I did not put account information for SMTP mail server because I do not know what to put.

Are you sure that you are having problem with the CAM Wizard in order to Send EMail?

Make sure that you have inserted the valid and correct SMTP server address. If the CAM still cannot send automatic emails, then problem could be one of the following:
    • Connection
    • Firewall
    • AntiVirus
    • Spam filter

I am quire sure that IP cameras can send emails as per your settings but in order to send email, they need access to a SMTP server. Most email accounts come with SMTP access even for outgoing mail but sometimes it is not possible to integrate all of them with the IP camera because they always need a secure connection.

As far as I know that you will get all the settings for POP3, SMTP servers on the ISP setup page. However for the password, it will be what you assigned when you had first created email account with ISP. If you didn’t configured the email client and don’t know how to do it, you should directly concern your ISP.