Thread: Overuse of hard disk space in my iMac version

Overuse of hard disk space in my iMac version

I don’t have anything saved in my hard disk. I have this ideal habit of saving everything on my external drive. My hard disk has storing capacity of 500GB and just with a few images of 40-50 MB it has started showing 240 GB empty when it should be way too more. Apart from this my system happen to freeze at times putting me into pickle at times. I was wondering if this is related by any chance.

re: Overuse of hard disk space in my iMac version

In my opinion, this is a suspect-able case of hard drive failure. If that is the case, the freezing issue might be related to it. For now, create a Back up now on an urgent basis.

Firstly, check the smart status of your hard disk using Onyx, a SMART test utility. If it doesn’t pass the test your hard drive is in a critical state about to or have already got corrupt.

The problem is, if you pass the test with Onyx it doesn’t give you any reason to celebrate because such SMART test utilities are not really reliable and they generally on the hard drives self-health-assessment which own its own is not reliable either. SMART UTILITY is anyday a better option but unlike Onyx, its not free. But it’s cheap and has free trial, you can probably exploit that.
    If you are willing to spend a little more, go with TechTool Pro, the best one and the most reliable one and naturally more expensive and gives no free trial.

I’ll definitely check out and let you know. I’ll just peep into my wallet and take a decision on the tool accordingly. But I just bought my iMac, a couple of months back. Isn’t that a bit too early for my hard drive to get corrupted and die. I mean, it’s a bit too much to digest.

Yes it is. If you ask me if this is expected, I would say a No.

On the other hand if you ask me if this is ever heard before, I would have to say a Yes!

All devices and systems are prone to such errors, irrespective of the time it was bought. Also, please list down some specifications about this so that troubleshooting can be a bit better and simpler.

I don’t know if this is a good news but I tried both Onyx and SMART UTILITY which resulted into zero errors. What do you think this means?

And here’s the specification you asked for: iMac version 10.6.8.It has a 8GB RAM. It came with a 4GB one and I added another 4GB. I am not at all sure about the year; however on checking the About Mac thing I could read this ‘Copyright 1983 to 2011’.

That is a good new as both the utilities have given favorable results. All that could be done for now is the final RAM test. Remove the newly installed RAM and check for freezing. After which remove both the RAMS and try putting it in some different PC.

If things are the same after that the only option left is to reinstall a fresh OS.