Thread: Kitting Koolance water cooler system

Kitting Koolance water cooler system

I recently purchased a PC for gaming. While playing heavy games I notice that the temperature of the internal parts rise to a very high level. I have radiators and fans placed in my system but still the temperature remains high. I am thinking of installing a Koolance cooling system for more better cooling. My plan is to buy,
    • Koolance MB-ASSTX79 Full Coverage Waterblock for the ASUS Sabertooth X79
    • Koolance VID-AR797 Full Coverage Water Block the ATi Radeon HD 7970/7950
    • Koolance Reservoir and Pump, RP-1200
    • Koolance Radiator, 2x140mm, Copper (HF) HX-CU1402V

Will this mentioned system keep my system cool while gaming for multiple hours? Are they worth for long time run or will I need to change them after some months or year? Will it fit in my cabinet or I need to buy a new cabinet too?

Re: Kitting Koolance water cooler system

I suggest you that instead of buying Koolance Radiator, 2x140mm, Copper (HF) HX-CU1402V you can buy Swiftech MCR220 cooler. It is compatible to work with other Koolance parts in the cooling system. It also has low fpi than the Koolance Radiator. It can also work good at very low fan speed which help you save energy. Unlike most of the new radiators that are available in the market this one is just of 32 mm in size. Generally the radiators available in market are of size 40mm. It also doesn’t make much sound. Even Swiftech MCP655 pump is good to use, it has a good flow rate. If your assemble will have many loops, then you’ll need to use Swiftech MCP655 pump.

I have the Swiftech MCP655 pump along with the radiators that are provided by Swiftech. It uses the midi system and is of great size as compared to the other radiators available in the market. Due to its size, I have lost space for use of one drive bay. I agree that the Swiftech radiators and cooler provide the best cooling as compared to many other systems, but the size becomes a big issue. Also to get the best performance out of Swiftech peripherals, you need to add them to each other in loop. This increases the complexity of the design. The complaexity creates problem when it comes to cleaning of the system or its maintainence.

Swiftech MCP655 has a great flow rate of 1200 L/h and the sound level is also as low as 28 dB. My case has slot for a 360 mm drive bay. So I have attached a 40 mm sized Swiftech MCP655 and another 240 mm radiator for extra cooling of my system. The loop in which the radiators and the cooling pumps in my system are applied is, pump>res>rad1>VRM>CPU>rad2>GPU>pump. To make a loop like this, my idea was that the water when passed over the VRM and CPU will be heated enough. So, before it passes over the GPU, it must be cooled so that it can neutralize the temperature of the GPU very well. The radiator 2 will do the job of cooling the water that is heated by VRM and CPU before it reaches the GPU.

This is a good setup that you have designed, but I suggest that you use a bigger radiator between the CPU and GPU. GPU is one such part whir a large amount of heat is generated. If you are a hardcore gamer and play games for long duration then you will need a bigger at the radiator 2 place you have marked in your loop. If you can’t find a bigger radiator, then you can also use dual radiator system. But to apply this technique, you will need a good exhaust system and a good PSU. Any fluctuation or inconsistency in the power supply can disturb the cooling process.

I prefer using T-Line instead of reservoir as the T-Line is easy to maintain. The reservoir is attached internally. It is one such part that requires cleaning regularly. So, when time comes for cleaning, one has to remove the whole assembly, clean it and then again attach. This whole process will become tedious and lengthy.

I prefer using typhoon fans for cooling along with the Koolance water cooling system instead of radiators. I am using Typhoon H100 of size 120 mm in my PC which gives a good cooling and temperature barely rises over 500C. If these fans are maintained regularly and kept free from accumulation of dust, then prove to be one of the silent fans in the computer. I use the fans at medium speed settings and still it does a great job of cooling. At medium speed it gives 1480 RPM while at high speed it gives 1800 RPM. I am planning to add another typhoon fan in the front part of my system.

I used to use a 360 mm radiator in my system, but its size would completely covet the roof of my cabinet. Also due to its heavy weight, handling the CPU had become difficult. I have replaced the radiators with Typhoon fans of smaller size and it works better than the radiators.

I suggest you that you use an Alphacool NexXxos radiator. It is slim in size and good in performance. If you want to conserve the space in your cabinet for other parts, then you can use this radiator. But let me tell you that you will this very expensive as compared to the other radiators. I use the 240 mm radiator in my system and it fits extremely well and also leaves space to adjust the other peripherals comfortably. Another disadvantage is that, it remains almost silent of low fan speed, but as soon as the fan speed is increased to medium or high, it will start generating sound of around 40 to 80 dB.