Thread: Radiator Fans intake versus Exhaust in Cooler Master CM 690 II

Radiator Fans intake versus Exhaust in Cooler Master CM 690 II

I use a Cooler Master CM 690 II with a 240 mm radiator on top of it. It also has two 120 mm fans on top of it. It has an option to switch the direction of rotation of fans to make it work as an exhaust or intake. In exhaust mode, it blows out the hot air out from the system. In intake mode, it will let in the cold air or gas from a different source to neutralize the temperature of the hot conditions in the system. I wanted to ask if the exhaust mode is better to use or intake mode is good to use. Both of the modes control the temperature of the system, but which one is more reliable and efficient?

Re: Radiator Fans intake versus Exhaust in Cooler Master CM 690 II

There can be two different conditions depending on your requirements. First, you want to introduce cold air or coolant inside your system which has hot air to bring the temperature to the neutral. This cold air or coolant will neutralize the hot air and the get out of the system letting more coolant to enter. This will create a cycle of cooling and neutralizing the temperature. The second condition is that you want to introduce an exhaust system which when combined with fans will throw out the hot air that is generated in your system. In the second case, the pressure that will be formed inside the CPU can be high. To let a relief to this pressure you will need to add more exhausts to your systems.

I suggest that you try the exhaust system. Introduce cool air using fans on the side, bottom and rear of your CPU. This will cool the temperature of your system. Also have an exhaust system at the top or some other empty side of the cabinet to let the pressure escape. Also see to it that the exhaust system is not placed near the fans. Fans tend to accumulate a lot of dust in the system. If the exhaust system is placed near the fan, the dust will also be transferred in the exhaust filters. Looking at the complexity of design of the exhaust system, you will need to spend a lot of time and efforts on cleaning the exhaust systems.

If you have a cooling plate on the roof of the cabinet, it will obstruct the down blast that will be created by radiator fans. So if you are planning to use the exhaust system, you will need to remove this cooling plate. You can add the cooling plate to the side where no exhaust or fan is placed. If you CPU is placed in a place where there is a good airflow, the you will not need to be specific about the direction of the fans. They can be placed anywhere around the cabinet. But I don’t prefer placing the fans on the top side as the bottom side where all the airflow will be focused won’t be open.

The radiator works in similar fashion as that of heat sink. The only difference is that the radiator provides larger surface area than heatsink to contact the hot air and cool it. The radiator cools the air and with help of the exhaust system, eliminates the air. This cycle goes on continuously. I suggest you to place the fans and the exhaust in exactly opposite side to each other. This will be the best combination when it comes to cooling of hot air. If you add all the fans and exhausts on the sides of the cabinet and won’t have any place to place any at the bottom then chances of creating a negative pressure zone is possible. To avoid this, either you can use different fans on the side and rear. Else you can try keeping the rotation speed of fans on side and rear different.

Regarding radiators, I use the pull/push configuration to utilize the more the surface area for cooling the hot air. Make sure that the maximum amount f air is moving through the radiator.

If you want the best cooling for your system then I suggest you to use the pump cooling system. It is expensive, but if you use your computer for heavy tasks like high end games or rendering high resolution images, then the pump system will help you the best. In this system, you will be satisfied until you are getting good flow of the coolant material. A better alternative to this will be that you can by a cheaper pump system and combine them with radiators. You can place them in loop which suits your system best and cool your system.

I’d say that you go for the radiator exhaust system. There is not much difference in the radiator system and pump system. The pump system only provides a difference of 2 to 3 degree Celsius in the temperature. Also you will need to regularly check the pump system for any leakage or for some bolt or screw coming loose.

In my system, I have placed a 360 mm radiator on one side of the cabinet and exactly opposite to it is a fan. The fan pushes the hot air towards the radiator which promises maximum amount of air to be passed through it. After the air is cooled, a negative pressure area is formed in the system. To eliminate this pressure, I have placed two exhausts, one in the rear and one on the top of the cabinet. If ever I have to perform some task which will generate a lot of heat, I have a Freon cooler, which I place on the upper side of the cabinet which provides extra cooling functionality.