Thread: Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS diagnostic seems to be ok but performance fails

Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS diagnostic seems to be ok but performance fails

I have been facing slow performance in my system and there used to be long pauses because of which the hard disk writing graph used to go flat. I have tried making a clean reinstall of os but then the installation process failed and I had problem in formatting it as well, I have tested out the drive with Seatools and it has passed the test and after that I was able to reformat it but then it made growling noise, it is working fine now but then I don’t trust it to work well further, is there anything I can do about the same??

Re: Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS diagnostic seems to be ok but performance fails

I have been facing slow performance in my system and there used to be long pauses because of which the hard disk writing graph used to go flat. I have tried making a clean reinstall of os but then the installation process failed and I had problem in formatting it as well, I have tested out the drive with Seatools and it has passed the test and after that I was able to reformat it but then it made growling noise, it is working fine now but then I don’t trust it to work well further, is there anything I can do about the same??
    Before I suggest you something about the same I just wanted to know your system specification, just post it here so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing.

Re: Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS diagnostic seems to be ok but performance fails

I am having:
    • Macbook Pro 15-inch,
    • 2.53GHz
    • Preinstalled - OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (I had tried making clean installation of the same but then it was unsuccessful)
    • I have installed OS X 10.7 Lion. Currently
    • I had checked out the drive using SeaTools in Windows XP by connecting it to Dell Inspiron 510m

As far as the growling noise is concerned I think it is normal, even I have been facing the same with XT 750 and I just wanted to know that are you having it on one USB? If yes then you are having the same case as that of mine, this issue is because the USB power capacity gets overloaded and the voltage gets drop and this hung the drive, in order to solve out the you will have to Use an external 5V source. Just check it out and see if the issue is getting solved or not.