Thread: Watching Freeview on HTPC leads to Stutter

Watching Freeview on HTPC leads to Stutter

I am facing some problem with the HTPC and some Freeview broadcast. I don’t know that whether this is the hardware problem or with the broadcast. OK, here is goes, when I start watching Freeview then first the sound start stuttering and after that it goes silent. Once this happens then I have to pause and play and this gives the sound back again.

Other than this, some of the times, I also found that the picture is getting pixilated and all of suddenit goes blank again there is just one way for me to get this resolved and that is pause and play. I get both these issues while watching live TV. When I play some recorded disk then there is no problem. I have upgraded the hardware and I think that PCI-E slot fails but I am not sure about this. Both the system are running the Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and having the inbuilt Windows Media Center. Here is my upgrade setup:
    • Intel i3-2100 3.1ghz processor
    • Asus P8H61-M Pro motherboard
    • 1 x 4gb Ram
    • 550w PSU
    • Shark007 codec 32 and 64 bit is installed for MKV playback
    • Clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    • WPI of 4.9

Re: Watching Freeview on HTPC leads to Stutter

I think that your system is lacking with the Geforce 210 video card. If this is not the problem then it might be some issue with the transmission/weatherconditions and that is the reason for this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hymavath View Post
    I think that your system is lacking with the Geforce 210 video card. If this is not the problem then it might be some issue with the transmission/weatherconditions and that is the reason for this issue.
    No, this can’t be because of the video card. I don’t think that this is the reception issue. Make sure that your aerial has not moved with the wind and this causes the choppy reception. There are many of the similar cases and people start searching for the solution to this issue. Just check for this possibility first and if this is not the case then you can move for some other solutions.

I would like to tell you that the Windows 7 built in codec is the most possible reason for this. I don’t know that which Windows 7 is installed codec pack for MKV's. It will be better for you if you can just confirm that which codec you are using. For me, I normally make use of the minimum in order to run what I require. From last many years, I have not used the codec packs and this is because they always give me pain.

If you are making use of the USB tuner then it will be better for you if you can simply unplug each usb device from it and reconnect them back. See if you can get some help from this.

Unplugging and replugging the devices is also a good option but if that does not help you then you can try by disabling the intel speedstep. This is normally in the BIOS. There are also some of the control panel option that affect the speedstep but I am not really sure that where is this option.

Quote Originally Posted by JErastus View Post
    Unplugging and replugging the devices is also a good option but if that does not help you then you can try by disabling the intel speedstep. This is normally in the BIOS. There are also some of the control panel option that affect the speedstep but I am not really sure that where is this option.
    I would like to tell you that the Speedstep is nothing but the power-saving function and this leads to slowdown the computer. This happens when it decides that the full speed is not required. In your case, there is possibility that it is kicking in after sometime because of more CPU uses when you play the videos. Normally the power saving is the best when we use that at minimum and because of this only, I make is disabled in order to get the best performance from the system. I can say that Speedstep is more beneficial for the laptop and not the desktop PC.

This really sounds weird that the problem only happens when you watch the freeview live. Do you remember that if you have clicked on the record in-between? If there is some issue with the reception then you will be able to see that into the recording.

Speedstep vigorously modifies processor multiplier as well as voltage in answer to load. Some audio libraries encompass trouble dealing through the very minute delays introduced throughout that process.

you must check for the antenna over again. There is very common problem with this and this is because of the Corroded cables, or bad adapters otherwise trees. these are some of the most common issues and must be checked first.