Thread: Does a broken part of Seagate Hard drive can cause warranty loss

Does a broken part of Seagate Hard drive can cause warranty loss

I had a doubt related to broken part of a hard drive that I got. I was not able to check this before. What happen is I had gone to check a system of my relative. It has a 1TB hard drive connected. Suddenly the system crashed. When I open and check I found that the hard drive connection was loose. I had see that the edges of the connector which holds the sata cable is broken. The cable just hangs there. If the cpu case is moved the system crashes. Now after some months they call me back saying the the system is not working. After checking I found that the hard drive is crashed and giving out boot failure error. I confused here. Does the broken part can cause warranty loss or I should go and ask for replacement. I will need to courier the drive to Seagate.

Re: Does a broken part of Seagate Hard drive can cause warranty loss

You can only find the right answer by reading the terms and condition of Seagate warranty on that drive. Many warranties does not cover physical damage. Try to contact Seagate customer care for the same.

I think you can get the replacement. What Seagates warranty policy says that they might not accept your product if the product is broken or failed due to heat or humidity. Other than this they also are not responsible for any malfunctioning caused by using any other device. The warranty void if you remove the labels or open up the drive. So here there is really nothing mentioned about the broken part. Do one thing, send the drive to Seagate and wait back for the response. Its is a 1TB drive and surely Seagate will give you a replacement of the same if the drive is not too old. Do not do any other changes or try to repair it.

For better details read the warranty statement of Seagate. You can contact seagate customer care for the same. They will guide you properly for the warranty claim.

What I think that you must check before buying stuff. How does those edges were broken. Did they come with the system itself then it is responsibility of seller. You can claim for the same. There are consumer courts which settle such claims. One thing you must not have done. Do not open the system. They put seal over the locks which when are open the seller does not take any responsibility of the hardware. Ask your seller for the same. If you are lucky enough he might give you a replacement for the broken drive.

It depends entirely on seagate whether to give you a replacement or not. They will check your device and if there are natural cause then you will get a replacement or else you will need to buy a new one.

Try some firmware patches by Seagate. Run them. I hope that can fix the issue if the drive is failed due to software causes. For the broken edges I will recommended you to get the cable fixed via some support like a tape. Then use it.