Thread: Low Transfer rate on ST3000DM001 3TB Barracuda Hard drive

Low Transfer rate on ST3000DM001 3TB Barracuda Hard drive

There is some doubt in my mind related to hard disk transfer rate. I have a 3TB barracuda ST3000DM001 disc. The specification of this disk shows that it offers 6gb/s transfer rate. The motherboard that I use is Asus Gen 3 board. Now the motherboard comes with specification for 2 different sata ports. One provides 3gb/s speed and other one 6gb/s. But when I connected my 3TB drive on it it shows relatively low rate. It is not giving me full 6gb/s transfer speed. What can be issue behind the same.

Re: Low Transfer rate on ST3000DM001 3TB Barracuda Hard drive

Did you configured the drive on raid. If no then you have to check the specs properly. It is notice that some of the drive sold are actually 3gb/s. They do not provide 6gb/s transfer rate. If you are too doubtful then you cant ry contacting seagate customer care and ask for help.

Usually this looks a bit impossible to get that much speed on your regular system. I am not sure how seagate can offer the same. I had seen maximum ssds can provide 250mb/s speed. But 6gb/s is quiet high. You can perform a hard drive test by number of diagnostic tool. This tools will tell you the maximum read and write rate which can put more highlight on the transfer speed. It is necessary that your motherboard and drive should match with similar specification to collect that much speed. If still you are not getting a needed speed and as per mentioned in the configuration you can contact seagate for the same. While comparison to 6gb/s it is much easier to gain 3gb/s.

What I know that 6gb/s is just a kind of marketing tactic. There are very rate drive that gives you that amount of transfer ration. This type of drives are available in market, but the desired cannot be achieved fully.

What is the actual transfer rate you are getting on your system. You must have mention the same fully. If you had connected the Sata gb/s drive on 3gb/s then you will not get that much speed. SSD's are more reliable here in reaching that much transfer speed. One thing you can do is, update the drive firmware and then check whether there is any kind of addition in the speed or not. You must stay satisfy if you are getting around 3gb/s. Somehow go and check your bios settings that you are limited to certain speed limit from the bios itself.

That much of speed really depends on the system hardware. What connectivity you are using and what amount of maximum speed the motherboard support. Asus Gen 3 board offer you 6gb/s sata port. But do they really come with that much amount of speed.