Thread: How to force firmware update on Barracuda ST2000DM001

How to force firmware update on Barracuda ST2000DM001

How to force firmware update on a hard drive even when it is not needed. I want to make serial interface adapter work on the same. It is not detecting my drive on the same and want help make this work. I own a 2TB Barracuda hard disk. I had checked for the firmware which showed that it is updated. I need to run back the same. How to do that. Thanks.

Re: How to force firmware update on Barracuda ST2000DM001

Instead of playing with the firmware better go for any better convertor tool. A convert tool like a serial adapter will offer you to easy connect the drive with the system. This issue is common in many hard drive. What is the exact issue you are facing. Did you checked in the bios that your drive is shown or not. If not then you can try connecting the drive directly with sata interface to the system. Drive above than 2TB face connectivity or low disc space issue. This must work properly. If your motherboard does not have support for sata connection then you can try use any conversion adapter like sata to usb, to make it work. Also there are sata pci cards which work for the same purpose.

I had two hard drives of similar configuration. I had updated the firmware of first one which give me cannot update message. After disconnecting all stuff I used the dos version to run the firmware update. It worked fine. You can try the same.

In my views do not force to update the device firmware. First of all are you sure about the right firmware version you have. There are can be a long list of available firmware for your hard drive. If there is right version selected then the firmware is updated simply. According to me you are not using the right file for update. From where did you received the firmware download. Look for CCD4 update for the drive. If the drive is working fine then there is no need to do that. There can be issue with the connectivity also. Did you try to check that the cable is working fine or not. Change the cable and then reconnect the drive. Go in your bios and ensure that all important settings related to hard drive connectivity is enabled.

There is one thing you can try to find that the drive is fine or not. Connect the drive to a usb enclosure. I prefer to go with usb 3.0 as it offer you high data transfer rate. But you will also need a usb 3.0 support on your motherboard. Connect the drive and see weather it is detected or not.

There is one more thing you can do via usb support. You can run the hard drive firmware update with that. Connect the drive to the usb enclosure and connect it to your system. Now the drive inside is connected via sata support to the enclosure. You can use dos to rewrite the firmware file. This works most of the time. One the firmware is updated you just need to fix the same back in your system with the interface you want to. Then again go and check in bios weather the drive is detected or not. If still not then there can be two conclusion. First either the motherboard does not supports a 2TB drive or the hardware is faulty.

Read your motherboard specs. I think your bios cannot support a 2TB drive. It can be used via enclosure. There are ample of easy to use enclosure available.