Thread: How to manage and maintain WD My Book Live 2TB Drive

How to manage and maintain WD My Book Live 2TB Drive

I own a 2TB Western Digital My Book Live drive. I had connected this to my system to manage my data backup and media files. Now I had noticed drive failures issue. To get rid of that I need some advice to manage and maintain my drives. Does defragmentation is better to get more spaced left. I had seen my drive light keeps high every time when even it is not in use. What can do to reduce pressure on the same. It is important to keep my data synchronize properly. I just to keep a list of working methods that can help me to make my drive work smoothly every time.

Re: How to manage and maintain WD My Book Live 2TB Drive

Yes defragmentation can help you to gain some help. But do not rely entirely on that. There are number of diagnostic tool which are made to scan your drives for error. Keep them running in the backend.

Maintenance stands for keeping an eye on the hardware of your system. That means cleaning it, checking the cable connectors and also performing various test on software level to check that there are not bad sectors in the drive. Keeping a eye on drive bad sectors will be give you more option to stay secure from sudden data loss. Make list of the following. Ensure that your drive gets enough power. Second check that all cables are connected firmly. In case of any cracks or cuts change it. Third do not place the drive on location where there is lots of humidity or blockage. Place it in some location where it is not touched or moved. Fourth check for regular firmware updates. Do not run updates if it is listed as buggy. Fifth, run disk scanner tools for errors.

A much easier steps that I am following from years is on software level cleaning. Like you can defrag you drive atleast once in two weeks. Defragmentation will wipe out un-necessary data clusters and disk cleanup to wipe out not needed files.

You can easily manage the drives via tons of too available to scan and check hard drive status. It is nice to cultivate such habits where you must in week at once should manage your drives. If there are multiple drives then this is much more recommended. Paragon software offers a complete suite to manage multiple hard drives at a time. It offer you to manage your existing partitions, setup cloning support, backup your data and other day to day job. To perform various action you will need the help of such suite. Other than this you can also use a tool called as Hard Disk Manager 12 Professional. The tool offer you easy defragmentation, wiping tools and utility to manage your disk status.

2TB drive need a lot more time to defragmentation. Also when you run any kind of test on the same it consumes time. So it is necessary to keep a eye on drive health status. There is a hard drive diagnostic tool called as hard disk sentinel. When you run the tool it scan your drive. It offers you smart test which will list a number of errors in the drive. You can keep a eye on those errors. If those error increases then remember that the drive might fail soon. So better keep a backup wherever needed. Second it also monitors the drive temperature and will show the drive health status. It is much better to decide the drive condition by this tool.

I also use Hard drive sentinel software. It offer temperature look, smart, error log, etc. The tool is nice to use and alert you if the condition of drive is too bad.