Thread: How to access My Book Live in Linux system

How to access My Book Live in Linux system

Some time ago I had seen my external data storage device freezes for some time. I tried to turned on and off it. It stucked on a single light and not responded at all. Later on it worked automatically. Now this has happened again today. I am not able to connect the same to my Windows pc. I am using My Book Live disc. It attached to my system with a usb enclosure. I am not able to figure out how this happen suddenly. Now I need some steps to check that the drive is working or not. I had seen the drive shows up in my Linux laptop. Does anyone has a better way to troubleshoot this on a Linux system. It is a 2TB drive.

Re: How to access My Book Live in Linux system

Checking 2TB drive with a hard drive scan utility is time consuming. It might take some days to finish the test and ensure that each sector is fine. You can use tool like Hard Drive Sentinel for this. It looks a kind of cable issue or something.

Check that the Ethernet light on the backside is up or not. The light is located near to the rj45 port. If the light is not fully up then then there can be two issues. First either the cable is damaged or second the drive enclosure is facing issue. It is possible to access the drive in Linux. I am provide you solution by which you can copy the content of your external drive to your pc via Linux commands. The processing of accessing drive is called as mounting a partition. You can mount a external drive as hard drive in your system by using the following two commands : mkdir /mnt/usbdrive & mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/drive. Run them and check that you can see the drive in your system or not. Anyhow you can simply find the same by plug and play support if you are using a usb interface.

Did you run any updates recently. If yes then try tp run patches to fix the issues. I had seen some the issue occurs only after running updates for the drive. You might not be able to access the ui of this interface. Try re-install its software and reconfigure all the settings.

Run TestDisk. This tool will analyze the drive and find errors in it. If there is nothing wrong with the disk then surely the issue lies with the drive enclosure or cable. A 2TB file will take quiet a long time to generate a full satisfactory report but it is recommended that you must run it find the number of errors in your system.