Thread: How to completely disable APM on WD RE4 HDD

How to completely disable APM on WD RE4 HDD

There is a big problem with my WD RE4. The problem like RAID 1 malfunction and raw read error. Whenever I disable the APM on RE4, the error rate drastically slow down but it will not help you to solve the problem completely. Do you have any solution?

Re: How to completely disable APM on WD RE4 HDD

I don’t think that it is an isolated problem. Currently in my company, there are 120 hosts with RE4 250Go (some are configured a RAID 1 and some are used as standalone) and all of them have similar problem. Recently we have got 20 new disks for testing and there also the same problem and now received two RE4 500Go and same results.

AS far as I know that the PM2 jumper enables PUIS (Power up in Standby) and it will not going to affect APM (Automatic Power Management). Both are different things. WD RE drives are optimized for the enterprise edition raid, thus representing the best buy, if we want to optimize the choice then for disks that cut the RE4 are advisable because the cut is 1 tera bytes against the 4 plates of RE3

Quote Originally Posted by Roey View Post
    AS far as I know that the PM2 jumper enables PUIS (Power up in Standby) and it will not going to affect APM (Automatic Power Management). Both are different things. WD RE drives are optimized for the enterprise edition raid, thus representing the best buy, if we want to optimize the choice then for disks that cut the RE4 are advisable because the cut is 1 tera bytes against the 4 plates of RE3
    I am also thinking about the same. The PUIS is very useful when you have connected the more than one drives to the same PSU. If you disable the PUIS, the drives will try to spin up at once and thus causing much power drain from a PSU. The PUIS allows OS to handle the spin up of each drive on demand. This will be happened via read or write command otherwise by the use of ATA command especially meant for those operations. However there is an alternative way to spin up a drive on demand and that is by the use of pin 11 of the SATA power cord. RAID controller always comes with this pin. ‘

With an onboard controller you may notice no difference in the subjective, just performance. In a raid 10 would perhaps notice something when you start a Windows service pack installed, but the standard regular work with the OS (not only remains the advantage of the sequential performance and redundancy). These would then be simply the cache controller of a real needful because here small file operations quickly landed in the cache and then checked in the background can be processed.

Quote Originally Posted by The#Gaelic View Post
    There is a big problem with my WD RE4. The problem like RAID 1 malfunction and raw read error. Whenever I disable the APM on RE4, the error rate drastically slow down but it will not help you to solve the problem completely. Do you have any solution?
    You were talking about enabling and disabling the APM to see the difference. Actually the APM is a feature which enables the drive to autpark its heads only after the predefined period of inactivity. This preprogrammed period time or timeout period is set inside the firmware. I think that there is a way to define the timeout period otherwise disable APM altogether. However for this you might need to use the WD's WDIDLE utility (wdidle3.exe).

36% of the examined traditional hard drives SMART data before failure is not appropriate. To that extent - if there are no nasty SMART data, it does not mean that the hard drive still may break soon. However, it has no other options, the "health" of a test drive. In an uptime of more than 9000 hours per plate but I think that the critical first few months are over. As for the readability of a single panel from a RAID1 on another controller.