Thread: Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB hard drive disappears on resume after sleep

Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB hard drive disappears on resume after sleep

I have recently purchased three Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB hard drive and have installed them in my network but then today I have found that one of the drive is getting disappeared on resume after sleep, I have checked out for the same in device manager and it is not even listed there, in my case the system is running on windows XP SP3 and I have set all of them in IDE mode, I am not having issues with other drivers but then just with one of them, what might be the possible cause of the same???

re: Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB hard drive disappears on resume after sleep

I have recently purchased three Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB hard drive and have installed them in my network but then today I have found that one of the drive is getting disappeared on resume after sleep, I have checked out for the same in device manager and it is not even listed there, in my case the system is running on windows XP SP3 and I have set all of them in IDE mode, I am not having issues with other drivers but then just with one of them, what might be the possible cause of the same???
    Can you just list the drives with the model no and working and not working one separately, so that I can have a better idea of your case and will try to help you out with it as well, I also wanted to know that are they having different drivers and so the try reinstalling the driver of the one that is having the issue, just check it out and then let me know the response that you get.

re: Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB hard drive disappears on resume after sleep

Working:
    • Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX-01JJPV0
    • Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS-22MVW130

Not working:
    • Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS-00MVWBO

They are having the same drivers so I don’t think that there is any issue with the driver and so, is there anything else that needs to be checked????

In that case you can test out the drive using “Hard Disk Sentinel”, if you want then you can use Data Lifeguard as well, better test them put an then post back the result that you get.

I have tried out the HD Sentinel but then I am not able to access the same once the drive "disappears" after wakeup.I am not able to find out it in the computer on which it is installed but then it is just appearing in Window's explorer as a drive over the network, I have tried accessing it through the LAN as well with no luck, when I had rebooted the machine and had ran the test then the parameters were normal and their results were same as well, the surface test as well as the self test appeared to be fine. Is there anything I can check about the same, can it might be due to firmware issues??? Is there any latest firmware for this drives??? Any further help regarding this will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB hard drive disappears on resume after sleep

As far as I can guess power-saving firmware might be messing up something to check out the same better check out the latest firmware and see if it is making any difference and if that does not then try out a different IDE driver or check out for bad sectors and see what you find.