Thread: How to adjust UEFI BIOS cpu fan speed

How to adjust UEFI BIOS cpu fan speed

Hello friends, I am finding trouble in adjusting the CPU fan speed. When I have tried the setting then I have selected the system profile to power saver, save that settings and reboot the system. Then I was getting 4300 RPM CPU fan speed that also under no load. Then I have went to advanced settings and set the CPU fan profile to silent, save the setting and again restart it then also no change. I am using the Athlon II x4 with heat sink and fan is salvaged from another computer. Does not knowing what fan speed I was getting in other computer but it was nearly too silent. The connection is been secure; does anyone know what the problem is? Thank you.

Re: How to adjust UEFI BIOS cpu fan speed

Quote Originally Posted by AUGUSTYNA View Post
    Hello friends, I am finding trouble in adjusting the CPU fan speed. When I have tried the setting then I have selected the system profile to power saver, save that settings and reboot the system. Then I was getting 4300 RPM CPU fan speed that also under no load. Then I have went to advanced settings and set the CPU fan profile to silent, save the setting and again restart it then also no change. I am using the Athlon II x4 with heat sink and fan is salvaged from another computer. Does not knowing what fan speed I was getting in other computer but it was nearly too silent. The connection is been secure; does anyone know what the problem is? Thank you.
    I wanted to know that fan which you are using is a three wire one or a four wire, if you can provide with this information then I would be able to help you and tell you the problem, so tell me about it.

I am having a Cooler Mast 4-wire PWM CPU fan, where the Fan Xpert to get down the 10% less speed and also having big 4-wire PWM JMC chassis fan. When it is running at full-blast then it is quite loud and cannot use the Fan Xpert to get it below 40%, if I am using the predefined setting such as the silent or a custom user setting. The problem is then I am having CPU fan running around 900 RPM and chassis fan running around 2000 RPM, is there any method to work it? Or should I switch fan headers? Please help me also thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Innocence$ View Post
    I am having a Cooler Mast 4-wire PWM CPU fan, where the Fan Xpert to get down the 10% less speed and also having big 4-wire PWM JMC chassis fan. When it is running at full-blast then it is quite loud and cannot use the Fan Xpert to get it below 40%, if I am using the predefined setting such as the silent or a custom user setting. The problem is then I am having CPU fan running around 900 RPM and chassis fan running around 2000 RPM, is there any method to work it? Or should I switch fan headers? Please help me also thank you.
    You meant to say that you are not able to JMC to 40 %? If you are able to do it then that is been available as BIOS control of the fan. I do not think that changing the header will help you. For more information the Chassis fan headers 1 & 2, both of them are been controlled through Q-Fan and also by FanXpert which you will not being knowing about it. You can try some of the modifications, such that you can install a resistor in the fan's 12vdc line (which will be lot of trouble) and also you can have an external fan control unit (this might be an option for you).

Well I wanted to fan to work at 10% speed during normal operation, where my fan is 1.3A and getting 40% then it reaches 2000RPM and also make noisy. If I try to set the fan to 10% speed manually then settings are not saved in the UEFI menus and also not able to adjust the speed curve in FanXpert to below 40%. Wanted to know that the inability is due to fan or it is due to BIOS/EFI setup. There is no problem with the CPU fan when it is been set at 10% for lower temperatures. The fan specifications also suggest that it will fun around 1000RPM at 10% duty cycle. Any more idea will be helpful. Thank you.

Let me tell you that the PWM fans or DC fan are capable to work on Chassis fan headers but not on PWM, as the headers are having a + 5vdc pin and also a + 12vdc pin. What I am thinking that the BIOS is not getting the voltage low to run the fan slower below than 2000RPM. I believe that it might be connected to a true PWM header then you will be able to get it to run much slower, so just check that out.

I believe that 3/4 of the headers are having the 4-pin connections which are been supported with all PWM. I would suggest that you better try to swap the CPU and CHASSIS fans then you will be able to get the required setup which you need to have. It will be calming down the big case fan and also the quiet CPU fan at a comfortable speed. Well the max draw on the CPU header is the 1A/12W and after so many passes from the Fan Xpert speed test it can handle ~16W JMC fan with no problem at all.