Thread: Disk Management shows no drive letters

Disk Management shows no drive letters

I have bought a new customized computer system, everything seems to be alright. But facing bit problem with the drive partitions. In my computer whenever I try to check out the drive, it is showed up perfectly with correct letter and designation and also works fine. In fact I can even read and write from all drivers with no issues.

But then when I check out the same thing in the Disk Management, it does shows me the drives but without the letters. Somehow when I try to assign those drives with letter, it shows me the next available letter as “L”.

Let me show you the actual partition I made:
    • OS & Apps C:\
    • Data D:\
    • Unwanted E:\

Re: Disk Management shows no drive letters

I am not sure but you can try out the solution which I am providing, try to rescan for the Drive information. For this you need to:

• Start
    • Go to Run
    • Cmd and then press Enter
    • diskpart , press Enter
    • Rescan and Enter

After you are done with the diskpart type “exit” in order to quite the diskpart and the again type “exit ” to exit the Cmd window. And now recheck the Drive Management.

Same thing happening in my system too. I can’t see the letter of the drive partitions. I normally use a Norton Ghost 12 in order to back up my C and D drive, this back up takes place on its own with respect to the schedule. But this back up does makes no sense when it comes to the recovery point. Actually it gets confuse during recovery as I could not see the driver letters. The Norton Support says that the Hard drive don’t have any letter assigned to the drives.

My Hard drive has 3 partitions:
    • DATA C:\
    • DATA D:\
    • DATA E:\

And all those drives are appeared to be seen on Norton as:
    • DATA (*:\)

Even disk manager do the same thing.

This is the 100% sure shot solution for this issue, follow it exactly the same:

• Start Windows
    • Press Start
    • Run
    • Type regedit and Press ok/enter
    • Then find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    • Select edit - New - Multi-String Value
    • Rename it to UpperFilters
    • Then right click on the renamed value and Select Modify
    • Type PartMgr
    • Quite and Restart Windows

The above solution should definitely work out. After you restart the windows the drive letters appears to be visible on the Drive Management. The main cause of this problem is in rootkit viruses, the reason I can surely say about this things is because even I had the exact same issue.

In my system I was able to see and also able to access the drives with an ease and also I was able to see the drive letters and designation but only while in Norton Ghost 12 and Drive Management the drive letters use to disappear.
    But later once I was recommended by my friend with the above solution and from then onwards everything worked fine. In fact after doing it I also did a scan and found viruses, that’s the reason I said that the main cause is virus.

This trick didn’t work in my system, anyone there who can let me know the reason for this thing. I had the exact same issue, in fact after trying out the above suggestion I can get to see some more extra symptoms.

• The applications hangs on start up and due to this other application won’t start up.
    • Unable to use system restore.
    • Unable to access the Anti Virus software

Almost everything has been stopped and now I am working on a Safe Mode.

Yeah this solution even didn’t help me. I was able to find the find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. But then when I tried to use the “UpperFilters" parm I found it already there in the system and also there were other values:
    • tdrpman228
    • PartMgr
    • snapman

Tried to remove all except the PartMgr and then restarted the system. But I think that didn’t help me in any ways. I am still unable to see the drivers. I was also suggested to perform a scan check using Avira in order to eliminate find the “rootkit” virus, but unfortunately I am also unable to run this antivirus software on my system.

Uninstall the Avira antivirus on the secondary/debug OS and then install the Kaspersky 2010 and then try rescanning. No doubt this will definitely help you out. It did find the “rootkit” virus which was exactly the issue. I washed away the entire virus and then I found that the drivers were able to be seen in the Drive Management with the clear letters and designation.

But I also performed the regedit suggestion as described above and then rebooted the system and ran the antivirus.