Thread: Unable to access data on Western Digital WD10TMVW

Unable to access data on Western Digital WD10TMVW

I had recently got this WD10TMVW-11ZSMS1 from my friend. It is attached in a drive enclosure which features USB 3.0. I borrowed it to backup data so that I can move my videos in the same. Here the drive spins up and sounds extremely well. After connecting the same the drivers are installed and it is detected. There is no error at the time of installation. I can also see the drive partitions in Disk Management. But somehow I am not able to take backup. I am getting disc error. I am using this drive on Windows XP.

Re: Unable to access data on Western Digital WD10TMVW

There are chances that this drive has bad sectors in it. Due to which you are getting the issue. To find that you can run disk defragmentation. This tool will analyze and find out whether the drive is healthy or not. If you find any bad sectors in it then you might not be able to use like a backup tool. You can also run a different set of hard drive analyzer software through which you can find the current health status.

I am unable to understand what issue you are facing. I will recommend you to format the hard drive. Ask your friend if he is having anything valuable in that. If not then go in Disk Management and format the partitions. You can merge them into single one. Then try to copy paste files on the same. This would be enough to fix the problem. If still you are getting any error then the drive or the enclosure something is not proper in them.

I had also configured my drive on a enclosure. It is working well. The only difference here is that this drive has usb 2.0 port. I am testing out the same on Windows XP and it is working fine. The enclosure has a very old ide hard drive in it. Windows XP is able to detect that properly and we can also transfer files in the same. In your cause there can be some sort of connectivity issue. So just verify the same and test back. This would be enough to deal with the issue you are facing.

There is one thing you can try. If it is a SATA hard drive you can use a SATA cable and connect the drive inside your system. This would be a faster way to find out whether your drive is in working condition or not. If not then just return it back. You have to arrange some other way for copying all your dat at safe place. For basic files and images you can use Google Drive. For videos you have to find a pen drive or other storage media.