Thread: HP 5500 STP query

HP 5500 STP query

Hello friends, I am having few 5500 switches and also having the primary and secondary WAN connections which is been connected to the ports 1 and 2. I am not able to make port one “the root” which is the primary one, and cannot make port 2 as the 'alternative' port. Even I wanted to know that should I turn on loop protection for both ports or for anyone. Please tell me, thank you.

Re: HP 5500 STP query

Where most of the service providers do not send the STP BPDUs and the root port will be pointed towards the bridge along with lowest STP bridge ID which might be having the admin priority in the most significant bits and in that bridge MAC will be the least significant bits, among all of them each are having the MST instance. I think that you might be having everything in the IST or it might be instance 0. You might be having the device on 1/0/11 which is winner of STP root election process.

Where most of the service providers do not send the STP BPDUs and the root port will be pointed towards the bridge along with lowest STP bridge ID which might be having the admin priority in the most significant bits and in that bridge MAC will be the least significant bits, among all of them each are having the MST instance. I think that you might be having everything in the IST or it might be instance 0. You might be having the device on 1/0/11 which is winner of STP root election process.

For your information, the VPLS does not handle redundant links, you need to configure monitor link in such particular case. If you will be using the monitor link then one link will be active where the second link will be backup link. The second one will start when first link is dead. It will avoid the loops and work fine with redundant VPLS connections. Even the Monitor Link is a function of the 5500.

There is more information about it on the H3C website which has explained the function of the Monitor Link on 5500, so you can visit that site and check out the function, which will be best to use it.