Thread: BIOS update failed in HP xw9400 Workstation

BIOS update failed in HP xw9400 Workstation

Yesterday I tried to update the BIOS on xw9400 but couldn’t succeed. The new version was (4.03). I tried to update with HPqflash utility using USB thumb drive. After the reboot the, the system bricked. There were No beeps, flashing error lights, BIOS graphics, nothing. I can only see only power LED which is green. Any solution?

Re: BIOS update failed in HP xw9400 Workstation

I think you should use the FailSafe Boot Block ROM which allows you to recover the system unlikely during the ROM flash failure. If there is no help from the FailSafe Boot Block ROM and it does not work, then reset the CMOS. If both didn’t solve the problem, replacing the board will be the only option left for you.

It seems to me that you have flashed it with the different BIOS which is not meant for HP workstation and due to this you might have screwed up the system. Otherwise I can simply assume that there is write-protected BIOS which is preventing you from removing the current BIOS.

I am thinking about reflashing it now. The reason behind this the HP bios gives truly stupid errors while booting and in that usually "Front 1394 unplugged", "Front USB unplugged", " audio unplugged", as well as " fan uplugged". The HP Bios is also limited to storage, boot order, and integrated peripherals.

I think that you didn’t write the BIOS file properly in the USB drive and due to this it partially flashed causing the system to brick in the middle. Anyway you don’t know need to worry about it much because it is easily recoverable. First thing you can try is to reflashing the BIOS once again. If that couldn’t help, send back to HP, they will fix it easily.