Thread: Keyboard beeps every time after running Windows 98se on my Lenovo T42

Keyboard beeps every time after running Windows 98se on my Lenovo T42

I never had any problem with my Lenovo T42 until I was running windows XP on it. But now after I installed Windows 98se on my system, not the major one but I am facing some minor issues with the system now.

The problem is with the keyboard. I can hear some continues beep sound whenever I press any key on my keyboard. I do not remember the exact keys which create the sound but one amongst them is 3 and 5. It actually does not irritates a lot as I do not use number keys frequently but whenever I type frequently and continuously on a MS Word or play game, those keys annoys me a lot. Please suggest me with some solution or remedy.

Re: Keyboard beeps every time after running Windows 98se on my Lenovo T42

You need not have to worry dude. First of all let me tell you that this is not an issue, actually the case is that your keyboards beep option is turned on. And you just need to turn off the option by getting into the BIOS menu. You need to follow these instruction:

• Press F1
    • Highlight Config using the arrow keys and then press Enter
    • Highlight Alarms using the arrow keys, press Enter
    • Highlight Keyboard Beep
    • Press F5 and then change to Disabled
    • Press F10 to Save and Exit.
    • Choose Yes to save your changes

Instead of getting into the BIOS setting and disabling the keyboard beep option why don’t you try turning off the option by getting into the Device Manager option which I feel is the best and the shortest way to disable the keyboard beep.

• Open the Device Manager (My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager)
    • Show Hidden Devices (View -> Show hidden devices)
    • Click on Non-Plug and Play Drivers
    • Open the Beep property
    • Go to Driver
    • And Click on Stop

You can also disable the device but I guess this would require rebooting.

Sorry friends your tricks somehow didn’t work in my system maybe because of the windows 98se installed in my system.

I tried to disable the keyboard beep option by going into the Device Manager option but the problem is that the Windows 98se does not have “show hidden device” option, due to this I unable to get the access to the further options.

I guess BIOS option would have worked as it has nothing to do with the Windows 98se but again I came across with some problem. Actually I have the latest T42 BIOS which I think does not have the “keyboard beep” option, so again due to that reason I can’t disable the required option.

I would suggest you to get another version of widows OS. If you feel windows 98se very much important for you then you can retain it and go for installing another OS in the same system. I would better suggest you Windows XP or Windows 2000 which I guess you can get in a cheaper price. At least you can get rid of the keyboard beep issue after having another OS install which will possibly have those missing option which are necessary to disable the keyboard beep sound.