Thread: How to make data recovery from western digital MyBook essential ?

How to make data recovery from western digital MyBook essential ?

Hi, i have Western Digital MyBook essential of 1TB and has only 130GB of data in it. A small piece of my PCB is broken and i think it is because of USB connector. To check the damage i opened the hard disk cover and tested it on multiple computers, all the partitions are invisible now thus i am unable to recover my data! Now can you help me recover my data from this hard disk?

Re: How to make data recovery from western digital MyBook essential ?

If you want to recover the data then you will need to decrypt it from your hard drive but as you are saying that your PCB is broken then you will need to fix the PCB. If you give it for servicing then they will help you by soldering the PCB that has broken from USB connector. Once this fixed then you will be able to use it again.

My drive was used very carefully and has never been dropped by anyone. It was working fine but while using the USB connector this damage is done. In windows it shows all the free space in disk manger. I was also wondering which type of file system is available in it? Can anyone tell me what could be the problem here? When i asked the Western Digital if i can replace the board but they said it is not possible to replace the board! Will soldering solve the problem for sure?

You can try doing following for recovering the data from your hard drive:
    1. Remove the hard drive from MyBook
    2. Now extract the Master boot record and make an image of it.
    3. Now you will have to blind read the data of your disk that is having the problem. Blind read program copies the data from your drive in “1” and “0” format.
    4. Blind write all the copied data to your new hard drive now.
    5. Again extract the master boot that you have earlier created to the new drive’s master boot.
    6. After doing this you will get all the data from your previous drive with new master boot.
    7. Now place this hard disk back into its case and start it, it should work for you.