Thread: HP t5335z Smart Client always enter standby mode

HP t5335z Smart Client always enter standby mode

I am using this thin client from HP. The problem is it is always enter into standby mode after 10 minutes. When there is no keyboard or mouse activity, the system always enter into the standby mode. I don’t know how to change the setting there. Does anyone know how to disable the standby mode? Should I try to contact HP support team?

Re: HP t5335z Smart Client always enter standby mode

When I had the same issue, I have applied the latest OS update and it resolved the issue for me. As far as I know that the setting which makes the system to go to the standby or sleep mode or Display shut down is root/ScreenSaver/enableDPMS. This is the feature of power management. If you want to disable it, just set it to 0. Also, do not configure any kind of screen saver for your client. It should resolve the issue.

Usually the thin clients won’t set into standby mode unless it is configured to do so. You have to press the Sleep key on keyboard otherwise select Sleep button from Windows, and then only the system enters into lower power state. At this time the monitor go blank and the power light blinks on the computer. This is useful when the system not in use. This feature can easily configured inside the power button.

It seems to me that you are having the problem with the screen savers. They might interfere with the computer to enter and resume from standby mode. If you don’t want the system to go into standby mode, then you should disable it. To do this:
    • Click Start> Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization.
    • Now Under Personalization, select Change screen saver.
    • In that section set it to (None) and click OK.
    • Go to Start and Sleep/Standby button and see whether the problem still exists or not.

I don’t think that it is the problem with the screen saver. It has nothing to do with the standby or sleep mode. Power settings control sleep/standby mode. You need to make proper settings to change the power options so it can change into sleep/standby mode correctly. In thin clients it is usually xset settings. To check it, open the terminal and try:
    • xset s off
    • xset s noblank
    • xset -dpms