Thread: 2TB SAS drives on Hitachi AMS2300

2TB SAS drives on Hitachi AMS2300

I am looking forward to updating the AMS2300 which is already configured with several 600GB 15k SAS drives. I come to know about the new 2TB SAS drives now but the thing is they do not have "verify-after-write" slowdown similar to SATA drives. Due to this will it make any performance difference or cause any issues regarding performance.

Re: 2TB SAS drives on Hitachi AMS2300

You just need to go deeply about this site. If you look through the performance perspective, you will have two major benefits:

• You already described that they don't suffer from the "verify-after-write" penalty. However this thing can be possible with SATA.
    • On the other hand the SAS drives are dual ported. That means both read and write occurring at same time since of duplex.

Re: 2TB SAS drives on Hitachi AMS2300

I don’t see any kind of benefit here and using those drives. Sector size of these blocks is 520 blocks. This is very much different from the SATA drive’s traditional 512 blocks which you can find mostly. The point is that due to additional blocks, they perform as a checksum region and prevents or decreases silent data corruption. Since they're 2TB SAS drives and they don’t differ in any kind of manufacturing process and the process is same as the 10K and 15K drives. So that the failure rate is similar to other traditional drives. I know that there are lots of differences but still they are ideal for backup, archive and low I/O workloads.