10000----- SATA---- 110-125
    10000---- FC/SAS ---130-140
    15000----- FC/SAS ---150-180

RAID Type ----Penalty
    0 -- 1
    10 -- 2
    5 -- 4
    6 -- 6

Does anyone know whether these numbers are correct. As far as I know that the formula to calculate RAID IOPS = (Total IOPS*Read percentage) + (Total IOPS*Write Percentage*RAID Penalty). If you think that the formula is correct, then I hope that Disk IO numbers and RAID penalties are proper. So if an application need 500 IOPS with 50% read as well as write, I think I will need RAID 5 configuration of 1250 IOPS. I am thinking about to use the 15K FC/SAS drives. In that case I will probably need config of 6D+1P. Is my information correct?

re: Calculating IOPS of Hitachi Disk

It seems to me that you have got everything from the manual. The IOPS looks fine and it is a safe range to use. But I still I have doubt with the "Penalty" section. I don’t think that it is a problem but single front end I/O normally translates lots of backend I/Os. If I were you I will simply calculate the front end IOPS which is necessary for the application add 10%-20% and divide it by disk IOPS. Like this way I can get number of spindles.

Re: Calculating IOPS of Hitachi Disk

When the topic comes to the IOPS, I actually look forward for one thing. The typical 15k FC disk was fine for about 150 IOPS. I know that SATA drives good for backups only. Furthermore you can use them for low intensity usage for example archiving solutions. I didn’t find anywhere saying that 10k SATA drives were good for 100 IOPS or more. From the specs you might know that SATA is half duplex whereas SAS is full duplex.

I have got the numbers from some forums and blogs when trying to understand more on that. I really wanted to know how exactly one can calculate IOPS, that is even for particular Raid Group and RG configuration. The above information was very helpful and I am very thankful to you guys. I am looking forward for more information.

I am working in the environment where AMS2000 has installed. There is a USP VM, but that’s a standard configuration for our environment and there is no load-full of activity on that. Right now majority of work is on AMS2000 and now Shadow Image is being configured on this. There are lots of questions about this and still I am not able to find out answers from the admin guides.