Thread: Why is Host Group 00 left un-configured and not used?

Why is Host Group 00 left un-configured and not used?

I want to know why is the Host Group 00 left un-configured and not used, I have asked the same question in other forums as well but then I have not yet got a clear answer for the same, I don’t know why the HDS recommend it to leave un-configured, I am aware that I can delete the Host Group 00 but then it can be initialized as well, so why don’t we use it, is there anyone who has an idea about it??

Re: Why is Host Group 00 left un-configured and not used?

I want to know why is the Host Group 00 left un-configured and not used, I have asked the same question in other forums as well but then I have not yet got a clear answer for the same, I don’t know why the HDS recommend it to leave un-configured, I am aware that I can delete the Host Group 00 but then it can be initialized as well, so why don’t we use it, is there anyone who has an idea about it??
    As far as I am aware the we are not allowed to create additional hosts groups and here the host group 00 is the mechanism which is used to map storage to a single host or say some hosts but then sharing the same port, even I had asked the same question about the host group security, I mean that why is it kept enabled but then I was said that there is a need for a host group for all the port, I have not yet got a explanation for the same.

Re: Why is Host Group 00 left un-configured and not used?

I think that I can help you out here, the HG 0 is empty for security reasons, the ports which are configured to use LUNs on port 0A having separate HG which have access to LUNs configured for HG0. So here if the HG0 is empty hosts then it won’t be having access to any LUNs so here the risk of damaging the data on that LUNs won’t be there, where as if the HG 0 is configured then there are possibilities of damaging the data. Hope that’s clear.