Thread: Adding new SSD in Windows 7 64 bit system, Service pack 1 required or not?

Adding new SSD in Windows 7 64 bit system, Service pack 1 required or not?

Hi, I want to know is the service pack 1 necessary for the SSD or not. I don’t know if you all have got my title properly or not but what I want to know is, Sp1 necessary for the SSD or not? Is it ok if I install the sp1 later after adding SSD. I am giving importance to this question because I have heard there are SSD-specific optimizations introduced in service pack 1. That’s why a bit confusion. However I am waiting to hear it from you if that is possible or not. Let me know what do you think.

Re: Adding new SSD in Windows 7 64 bit system, Service pack 1 required or not?

I don’t know if SP1 brings SSD enhancements or not. Also I don’t think so if it would matter if you continue with the Windows 7 sp1 installation while adding the ssd or if you add the sp1 later. It does not matter at all. That’s my opinion.

I have a SSD in my machine and it runs on a windows 7 basic edition and later I updated it to the sp1. It did not gave any kind of complications at all. So if you want then you can try this method that I have tried. For the time being you can continue with the Windows 7 without service pack and later you can update to sp1, that’s what you can do. I hope that helps you to some extent.

I would always advise you to install from a CD with the latest service pack. That’s the safest method to do. It is perfectly leagal to make a disk that integrates the service pack with it. Very much useful in avoiding small issues such as
    - installer issues
    - less likely to have an update bug
    - am outing less space.
    - More secure
    So always go with the service pack installation when you are going to install windows 7.

Only the performance would be an issue. Without sp1 it will run a bit slow and with sp1 yes it will run very much smoothly. So if you want its upon you to decide with which way you want to go. I would give a green signal to both the methods.

ThumbsUp Re: Adding new SSD in Windows 7 64 bit system, Service pack 1 required or not?

I totally agree with what you have said here. see SP1 comes with a a different AHCI driver which has a deeper reaching NCQ support, that will give you much improved performance and a better benchmark results for the testing of various hardware’s. So I would say better go with the installation of the sp1 with the windows 7. That would be the ideal way to go with.

If you have the iso file of windows 7 then that’s the best thing that you can have over here. so I think you should go with that. In case if you are able to get it then installing Windows 7 and then immediately installing SP1 would be the best thing to do. Whatever SSD stuff that you were worrying about will be put into Windows 7 from the start, that’s what I can guarantee and do not worry about the alignment stuff. Since once you have installed it, you can cleanup all the backup files that will allow you to uninstall the service pack so that you would be able to get the disk space back.

So where can I get the iso files, any ideas or links that I can check by which it will give me a proper information about it? Please tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by Farhat$ View Post
    So where can I get the iso files, any ideas or links that I can check by which it will give me a proper information about it? Please tell me?
    Yes search in google or check in some forums you will definitely get there. Write that iso file in the cd and start installing, that is one method that you can do. I hope you did understood that.