Thread: How do i add USB 3.0 ports on my Desktop pc

How do i add USB 3.0 ports on my Desktop pc

If the hard drives and memory sticks are compatible with 3.0 USB 2.0 format, you can not fully exploit their speed as plugging them into USB 3.0 ports. Learn how to add USB 3.0 ports to your computer desktop.

To add USB 3.0 ports to your desktop computer, you need to add a controller card in PCI-Express. You must check at first if you have such a free slot on the motherboard of your computer. For this step, no need to open your computer because a program like Sisoft Sandra can do the trick.

You will then need to open the cabinet and install your new card, which is not complicated and is accessible to everyone. You will then install the drivers appropriate for the card is recognized by Windows and you can then use the new USB 3.0 ports with USB devices.

Check for an empty space:

To take advantage of USB 3.0 in your computer, you need to add a controller card. For a desktop computer, a PCI-Express slot is required.

• For a desktop, you will have to open the cabinet to verify this with a PCI-Express. Locate the PCI-Express in your case.
    • If you do not want to open your computer you can use a free software like Sandra. Download and install it.
    • After installation. launch Sandra and open the Hardware tab and double click on Motherboard.
    • Expansion Slot section provides information about the connectors on your motherboard.
    • Close the window and double click the icon and peripheral bus.
    • Scroll down the list class and select the first item PCIe.
    • The device type field tells you whether an item is present on this connector. Here is a video card present.
    • Repeat for the other elements of the list class PCIe. When the message No devices found is displayed, it means that the connector is free.

Re: How do i add USB 3.0 ports on my Desktop pc

Adding USB 3.0 controller card:

PCI-Express, USB 3.0 controller card must be connected to the motherboard of your computer. USB 3.0 ports will then be available at the back of your box. Follow these steps for doing the same:

1. Turn off and unplug your computer before you opening the cabinet.
    2. Locate the PCI-Express slot and insert into the controller card.
    3. If the card requires a power supply molex, plug it.
    4. Close your case and restart your computer.

Install proper drivers:

For Windows to recognize the new USB 3.0 ports, install the drivers for your new hardware. To do so, Turn On the computer., Windows automatically detects the card. If this is not the case, insert the CD that came with the card into your computer open it in Explorer. There are different types of USB 3.0 chipset. The chip card is normally indicated on the packaging or on the CD. Here it is a NEC chip.

Open the folder Driver NEC. Run Setup.exe and follow the wizard steps to install the drivers for your card. Windows then detects your USB 3.0 card. Click Close. Finally, click Finish.

Re: How do i add USB 3.0 ports on my Desktop pc

Now that the USB 3.0 card is installed and recognized by Windows, you can use to exploit your USB 3.0 devices. First, make sure the card is installed in Windows. Just click the right mouse button on the Computer icon and click Properties. Click on Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers item. The USB 3.0 bus controller is present and installed correctly (no yellow symbol next to it). Close the window.

Now simply plug your USB 3.0 device to a USB 3.0 card you just installed. It is detected and you can use it at full speed. Note that you can totally connect USB 2.0 devices on a USB 3.0 port: it will work perfectly. Its speed will be just limited to USB 2.0 aiez as if you plugged into a USB 2.0 port.