Thread: Dell Vostro 200 Fan runs very fast

Dell Vostro 200 Fan runs very fast

I am using the Dell Vostro 200. Saying it is a very good computer, the Fan runs very fast even when the system at idle condition. It runs very fast when I access iTunes or watch a video. The ventilation is very and no other problem in the system. Is this the issue with all models of Vostro. When I am browsing using the Firefox with multiple tabs open, then also the fan runs very fast. At the same time browser would get stuck and I had to close the browser. This is really annoying.

Re: Dell Vostro 200 Fan runs very fast

I have noticed the issue in my computer also. I think maybe your issue can be caused by any problems. There is no specific reason for that unless you find one by yourself. Since it is your computer, you must have known well about it. There are several reasons. For example program hogging system resources. You might have opened too many programs which is lacking system resources and giving much pressure on CPU. Otherwise it would be a potential hardware issue.

I am experiencing the same problem with fans and excessive running when I switch on the computer and sometimes after. It is a common issue and it won’t last long. When I run multiple programs, like multimedia, online or movie, the system runs extremely hard and fan runs at full speed. I have looked into the system or processes running in the background. I didn’t find anything strange there. Everything was normal. I assume that it is normal.

I think that your physical fan is not working correctly otherwise it is just faulty. Some fault fans make more and more noise when running. At that time you will think that it is running too fast but in fact it is not. Look into the case and around the fan for possible dust collection. This may internally clog the air flow. You need to clean out the dust and then see.

The Dell Vostro 200 contains 2 fans. In that one is case fan for ventilation other one is the CPU fan. The fan keeps the processor cool. This CPU fan should run at full speed when CPU is working at full load otherwise the CPU can overheat. If the fan sounds very quiet or PC is running memory-intensive programs, then there should be a problem with your fan or may be it controllers. To check it run the Dell Diagnostics check the system fan.

The Dell vostro contains the G33 Chipset which can supports bus speeds from 800 to 1333 MHz. Along with this it also has PCI Express 1.1 and Intel Quiet System Technology. This is a fan controller. It ensures the fan speeds according to the temperatures and it will also control Fan noise.

I have a simple solution for your issue and I hope it will laterally work.
    • First of all turn on the Dell Vostro 200 and keep press "F12" while on the boot screen. There you need to choose "Boot to Utility Partition" which will get you to Dell Diagnostics.
    • Click on the Main Menu >"Custom Test. Expand "Other" category.
    • Now you will see "ESM System Fan Test" and "Run Test" to run a high speed fan test.
    • After the test is complete it will show you results. If there any problem detected regarding the fan, it will show some onscreen directions to resolve the issue.

Best thing you can do is open the system case and check everything inside is clean and properly connected. If the fan does not respond properly when it is need, you will start seeing problem with the computer. Typically higher temps, lag, immediate shutdown, reboot, BSOD and more. If you want to manually configure the Fan speed, you can set the values directly in the BIOS settings. If nothing helped you to resolve the problem, I will urge you to send your system back to the service center.