Thread: Seagate ST2000DL003 2tb is not appearing in Dell Dimension 5000

Seagate ST2000DL003 2tb is not appearing in Dell Dimension 5000

I have been using Dell Dimension 5000 and I have recently bought Seagate ST2000DL003 2tb and have installed it in my system and have also updated the bios as well, but then the problem that I am having is that the hdd is not appearing in the device manager or disk management but then the Serial no and volume size appears in bios, I don’t think that I have missed anything, is there anyone who can help me out??

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003 2tb is not appearing in Dell Dimension 5000

I have been using Dell Dimension 5000 and I have recently bought Seagate ST2000DL003 2tb and have installed it in my system and have also updated the bios as well, but then the problem that I am having is that the hdd is not appearing in the device manager or disk management but then the Serial no and volume size appears in bios, I don’t think that I have missed anything, is there anyone who can help me out??
    If you are having the new drive in the third SATA port then you should move the same in the SATA 1, as there will be an optical drive in the sata port 2, I have found some people mentioning that the dell bios do not recognize the new drive in a port above the an optical drive, I am not very sure about the same but then you can just check it out and see if it is helping , other than this also reset the CMOS memory in order to make the computer recognize its devices just try it out and see which possible solution is helping you.

Before I suggest you something about the same I will like to know the system specification of you machine, just post the same here so I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing and will try to help you with the same.

I am having the following:
    • Processor: Pentium 4 3.00 GHz
    • Motherboard: 0W5363
    • Chipset: i915P/i915G
    • BIOS: A01
    • Memory: 3Gb DDR2
    • Graphics: ATI Radeon x/300/X550/X1050

I wanted to share that I have checked out the bios and I am having the option to set SATA 0 where I am having the main hdd or to SATA 2 but then I am not having SATA 1 option, I am sure that the device is not dead and it is still operable as when I enabled the HDD in the BIOS then I was able to get the serial and volume details again.

I will suggest you to delete the device cache file which will be %windir%\inf\infcache.1. here the windir is nothing but C:\windows so just locate the same and then delete the file and after that just reboot the computer, when you reboot the computer then the device cache will be build by the Windows and it might help in solving the issue, if not then just go to the device manager and after that just right click on it and then click on the scan for new hardware changes and see if you are able to get it there or not. Just try out the above solution and then let me know the result that you get. Best of luck.

I have performed the above solution and below is the result that I have got:
    • Reseting BIOS – I have reset the bios and it is helping to see both drives on boot but then I am still not able to get them in the device manger.
    • Deleting %windir%\inf\infcache.1 file – I have tried searching for the same but then I have not yet found the same.
    • I have also tried out the scan for new hardware changes method but then even it did not helped.

Is there anything else that I can try out???

I think that you should try to disable the BIOS default or set it to Not Present, just go in to the system setup and try out the same and also check out the port on which the new drive is sitting on and then switch it off. When you are done with these then just reboot the computer and then let it boot and after that just repeat the same process but then this time make sure that you are setting the port back to Auto or On and then check out in the device manger if you are getting the drive or not?? Just check it out and then let me know what you get.

There should be a %windir%\inf\infcache.1 file, I will suggest you to just type the same in command prompt and see if you are getting the infcache.1 file or not, if you get the just rename it and then reboot the machine and see if it is helping if not then delete the file and then reboot the machine again and see what you get.

I have checked out for the same and I have found that you are not having the latest bios, the one which you are having is quite old, the latest one is A07, I think that the bios that you are having might have added large hard drive support, the below changes has been made in the latest bios update:
    Improved drive detection
    Fixed SMBios token along with the set up for enabling/disabling support for NX
    Just get the latest bios update from here and then see if the issue is getting solved or not.

I have followed the above solution and this is what I have found this time:
    • I found the infcache file with the command that you had mentioned and then I first tried out renaming it but then it did not made any difference so I deleted it as well but then even it did not helped.
    • I have tried disabling/re-enabling SATA 2 HDD port after getting the BIOS A07 but then it is still not making any difference and I am left with the same issue.
    • Is there any other solution that I can try out??