Thread: what is the actual capacity of Dual Layer DVD+R?

what is the actual capacity of Dual Layer DVD+R?

I am not sure what is the actual capacity of Dual Layer DVD+R but I believe it is 8.5 millions not 8.5 gigabytes. Now I want to know what is the maximum burning capacity of a DL DVD+R?
    When I look the file size in windows explorer then it appears that I should be able to burn it to a 8.5Gig DL-DVD+R. I have tried burning this files several times using different burning software and with all the burning software the burn usually completes but the verification always fails. So if anyone having the information about the actual capacity of DL-DVD+R then please help me.

Re: what is the actual capacity of Dual Layer DVD+R?

I am facing a similar issue with the DL-DVD+R, I have used Sony DL DVD+R's and with this I am experiencing 7 of 9 that means 78% failure rate. The 2 disks that burned and verified successfully had a maximum file size of 6.8Gig and the 2 of 9 failures were with a file size of 5.5Gig. I think this is because of Sony DVD’s and I don’t know whether these are real Sony DVD’s or cheap quality pirates DVD’s. if anyone knows what is the reason for this issue then please recommend me.

I think it should not matter that the DVD’s were real or pirated because the worst media that I have ever used was from Sony and also remember that the Sony doesn’t even think that the DVDR’s are legal. So if you want to know the maximum burning capacity then you should use the Maxell or verbatim and then try to burn with it.

The maximum burning capacity of Dual Layer DVD+R is 7.9Gig and you can understand this by following
    The label 4.7GB means 4,700,372,992 bytes for single layer DVD+R which means 4.378 Giga bytes and
    The label 8.5GB means 8,547,991,552 bytes for double layer DVD+R which means 7.961 Giga bytes.
    So the answer of your question is 7.9Gig as it is rounded down to one decimal.

I don’t think so it is as simple as you are explaining because I am using Pioneer DVDR and with this I will able to burn a maximum of 4.3 Gig to single layer DVD and 8.0 Gig to a dual layer blank disc. That’s all its firmware allow.
    And when I have used the ImgBurn on my computer then the it will able to burn a maximum of 4.3Gig to a single layer disc and 8.35Gig to a dual layer disc.

The maximum file size for a Dual Layer DVD+R disc is 8,547,991,552 this is capacity in Bytes and 7.961 this is capacity in Gig Bytes. You make sure that with windows it shows the capacity in bytes so you should not use the windows explorer to burn. Instead of using windows explorer you should try some different software to burn DL DVD+R disc.

I have Sony Dual Layer DVD+R and tried to burn one of the Movie with 6 different burning programs and the windows exploder shows the file size as 8,329,905K. All of my 6 burning programs reports that the file will burn to a DL DVD+R, but with every burning program the burn process is failed. Most of them is failed due to the verification and a few actually failed during the burn. Now I think that these Sony DL DVD+R disc are really not original or pirated or both.

I have checked the Wikipedia and the maximum file size of DL DVD+R disc is 8,547,991,541 in bytes and from 8.5 GB, 7.961Gig can be usable and for SL DVD+R disc is 4,700,372,992 in Bytes and from 4.7GB, 4.378Gig can be usable.

In my opinion If you are using the full capacity of the disc that is available then the disc becomes unreliable so it is better to not use the full available space on the disc. I would also like to recommend you that not to use the windows explorer to burn a disc instead you should use the ImgBurn burning program as it will give you a better information on what you can burn on to a disk and also the information about its capacity. In addition to this the ImgBurn program is better at writing files to disk as compare to windows.