Thread: PC won't recognize HDD, asking for BootDisk

PC won't recognize HDD, asking for BootDisk

My old computer is now Bricked and I cannot boot it properly. Whenever I try to start up, it directly goes to CMOS setup and says there is no HDD. But I have installed Hard drives properly with proper connectors. If somehow I have managed to boot into PC, it says “Drive is not ready. Insert boot disk and press any key to continue”. It is running Windows 3.1 and I don’t know where I can download and create Windows 3.1 bootdisk? Why it cannot recognize HDD? There is no CD drive?

Re: PC won't recognize HDD, asking for BootDisk

First of all check that whether in your BIOS, the hard drive set to IDE mode or AHCI mode. It seems to me that your old HDD had died.

One more thing to tell that there is no Windows 3.1 boot disk. AS far as I know that in order to install Windows 3.1, you need to install MS-DOS 6 then go for Windows 3.1 installation as an MS-DOS application.

I don’t think that there is problem with the HDD. The CMOS/BIOS battery must have failed, and due to this all the parameters (disk geometry) might have erased. If so, then you must get a new CMOS batter and do all the necessary settings in the BIOS. If the HDD itself failed then there is no luck in replacing the drive. Also getting a new HDD, may not be able to detect and boot in such an old machine. Make sure that the connectors and power cables are not damaged and get at least MS/PC-DOS version 3.1 or better...

I have seen some old PCs that they do not auto detect the hard drives. The required parameters may not be available in the BIOS and there is no guarantee about the CMOS, since it is very old. Take out the HDD and read the label and use that information to configure the BIOS. Make sure that you are using a compatible HDD.

I had the same problem with my old computer like unbootable drives, corrupted BIOS names etc. So that I have used the different IDE and/or SATA cables and slots. This was a very good fix for me. If this didn’t fix for you, then assume that it is obviously the motherboard’s fault.

What is your boot order in BIOS settings? As far as I know that you need to set the Boot options according to your needs. If you look into the BIOS, you will see Primary Boot Device, Secondary Boot device and so on. You must configure it properly. The Primary Boot Disk always is HDD and for Secondary you may choose either CD drive or the USB if you have one.