Thread: Unable to upgrade HP Blackbird 002 SATA II Backplane to SATA III

Unable to upgrade HP Blackbird 002 SATA II Backplane to SATA III

I am facing the problem with HP Blackbird 002, i wanted to know does anyone about Backplane of SATA II, well it is like basket where you can slide, as you do in server basket. So i was thinking to upgrade to SATA III drive. If i do the upgrade then will i be able to get some better performance and will throttel down, presently using SATA II. So i was try to change on HP Blackbird 002. So can anyone provide information that will i be able to do it and is there anything lighting and cables powered to Backplane. Even someone has doen modification with blackbird 002 with pci-ex1 sata 3 (6gb/s) card to power SATA 3. So is there any option by which i can do it, please help me. Thank you.

Re: Unable to upgrade HP Blackbird 002 SATA II Backplane to SATA III

The issue is with electronic components. The components are been upgrading so quickly that you can keep on do changes on your system. If you do the changes then you will be not get much difference in performance, it might be but very less. I think it might compatible with backward. If you are trying to change Black plate then it will be really helpful and it might worked for you. Where SATA II is in-built on motherboard which could not be changed at all.

I was not knowing about that, HP BLACKBIRD 002 uses a SATA 2 Backplane only, so i do the changes like changing motherboard then it will be support SATA 3 where HP BLACKBIRD 002 SATA Backplane support SATA 2. So which is better solution for me or should i go for brand new computer? I think that problem is with HP BLACKBIRD 002 Backplane. So what you have say about it.

If you upgrading to SATA III then you will not any improvement in performance wise. If you decide to go for 10000 Rpm or 15000 Rpm SATA then you might be able to see improvement in performance. If you like to see a huge improvement then i would suggest go for SATA III SSD, you will get biggest performance boost with SATA III.

Well thanks for information, but i have decide to go new Intel X79 Chipset, which is yet to come. Once it is available then get it and will make fully latest Corsair computer case along with liquid cooling kit. The liquid cooling kit will be useful when i will be able to remove Asetek OEM Stock liquid cooling from HP Blackbird 002 and setup on new case. I would like to make a new system but still want some of older system parts in it. Is there any hardware flash kit to flash the Backplane to SATA III to be on present system. Does anyone know about it.

It is not possible to remove the Backplane from system, you were asking about the lighting in backplane then you get get it, you need to invert it and search it on open space above it, you have to do it then have to keep it like that and plug the drive onto motherboard directly. Where the cages are strong enough to hold drives, if you are using ssd's then it will work better. It will not take effort to do it, but you need support for back mechanism.

If i has to do it then i would have pull the backplane such that PCB, then would have run some powder and data cable to all drive which i wanted to have it. There is power source to get LED lighting and you will be able to locate it somewhere.

I do not think that it might work, whereas i am knowing that circuit board act as cable which allow hard drive to be hot swapped. IF you see cables of Sata 2 and 3, both are identical, so you can use Sata 2 cable with Sata 3. I have recently got a brand new PSU with a Sata 3 Hard drive. I have to test it yet. The motherboard has the function for lighting which is not related to that, it need to be integrated the functions on board.

Even i also wanted to the upgrading of Blackbird, wanted to do with SSD Hard drive, even it can be worked with any of other component? If i have insert SSD drive to Blackbird backplate sata ports then it will work or not? Is there a need of bracket to hold it, if i try it on Blackbird HD Bay? So please also tell me about it, keep me a update about it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by LaLiLa View Post
    Even i also wanted to the upgrading of Blackbird, wanted to do with SSD Hard drive, even it can be worked with any of other component? If i have insert SSD drive to Blackbird backplate sata ports then it will work or not? Is there a need of bracket to hold it, if i try it on Blackbird HD Bay? So please also tell me about it, keep me a update about it. Thank you.
    You trying with SSD then it will be fitted properly but you need to have 2.5 to 3.5 bracket to get it properly fitted. If it is not fitting then you have plug the sata cable in the drive, but that will lead to problem of powering the drive. You can use backplane or the space next to the plugs to run the cables. It might line up SSD with Blackplane.

I think that adapter do not come with it which hold ssd in the right place, where sata connector needs to match the position with on regual 3.5" hard drive. I have order one from amazon website and got it from icy dock, it works perfectly. I do not get problem till now will Sata III 6gb/s drive.