Thread: What is the use of instruction decoder?

What is the use of instruction decoder?

Hello friends, I am always very keen to find information about technologies to increase the level of my knowledge. Can anyone share the relevant information about the use of instruction decoder? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: What is the use of instruction decoder?

Instruction decoder does the exact operation of an encoder… it undoes the encoding so that we can retrieve the original information. Combination of circuit happens that converts binary information from input lines to maximum of 2times of the lines. Instruction decoder removes bits which are stored in the instruction register and gradually decodes it informs the CPU to commence its work and then enables the components for the operation.

Instruction decoder is embedded in the CPU that converts the bits stored in the instruction register. The CPU who has microcode in them which forms micro-instruction into the control signals that eventually control the other parts of the CPU. A CPU with 8 registers can use up to 3-to-8 logic decoders which are embedded in the instruction decoder. After that they select maximum two source registers from the register file to give the information to arithmetic logic unit (ALU) and also to the destination register to accept the total output of the ALU. Instruction Decoder acts like a dictionary in which it tells the exact meaning of the instruction.

Thanks a lot guys for giving me adequate information about instruction decoder. I am sure it will help me building my knowledge level. Really appreciated guys.