Thread: IDE or SATA, in multitasking.

IDE or SATA, in multitasking.

I am using my computer since 2 years. And it’s still working in a proper condition. In fact I have two IDE of 320 GB which I bought at the same time when I bought my pc. They both are too in a proper working condition. Even if I use an IDE-to-SATA adapter, it makes no difference. They still works the same when used without an IDE-to-SATA adapter. But somewhere I heard that IDE drive are much slower than SATA drive, is it true? And with Q6600, I know that both can perform multitasking but which one is faster and preferable?

Re: IDE or SATA, in multitasking.

I would say that SATA drives are much better than the IDE drives. Using Q6600, SATA can perform better and more job as compare to IDE drive. It’s all because of the advanced modification made in its cable. According to me SATA drive that supports NCQ(Native Command Queuing) properly can perform multitasking much better than IDE drives. Initially NCQ was unsupported in SATA-I but later on it was supportable in SATA-II. NCQ are use command queuing. Therefore we can say that command queuing is also unsupported by IDE drive as IDE drives does not support NCQ.

Most of all believe that SATA is somehow quite advanced than IDE drive. Can anyone tell me what exactly make the IDE drive slower? As we know that it’s the same drive only with a different interface.

I can answer your question very well. As we go on to check out the speed of SATA comparing with IDE, no doubt SATA has the best speed ranging to 150/sec in data transfer as compared to IDE i.e. 50MB/sec to 133MB/sec transfer speed. This makes the SATA drive perform multiple task with a higher speed.You can also notice that the SATA cables have 7 pins plugin as compare to the IDE cables which have 40 pins wide plugin. This makes the SATA much more advanced and faster than IDE while transferring data.

If we go on with the physical competition between both of them it’s no doubt the SATA which will take off. SATA cables are much longer than the IDE cables, which again seems to be more advantageous in large connection cases. SATA cable connects only one hard drive to the motherboard and IDE cable connect two hard drive to the motherboard.

Directly coming to the conclusion SATA is faster, better and too smaller compared to IDE. They are much easier to install as there are no jumpers. One drive in one cable is the only and the major drawback in SATA.

SATA drives are faster than IDE drive due to the following reasons.
    1. Transfer rate.
    2. They have Native Command Queuing.
    3. Through SATA the burst speed from cache can be processed much faster.