Thread: Seagate Barracuda ST31000340AS firmware update error "Non system disk, hit any key to continue"

Seagate Barracuda ST31000340AS firmware update error "Non system disk, hit any key to continue"

I was trying to do a firmware update for ST31000340AS and I was using the windows updater for the same but then the update had failed in between, later I tried to update it using ISO disk Updater and it was done without any problem, now the problem here is that whenever I am rebooting the computer then I am getting a prompt during the reboot process and it says "Non system disk, hit any key to continue" and after I press any key then it goes and the windows starts normally but then I want to get rid of this. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about get rid of it?? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Seagate Barracuda ST31000340AS firmware update error "Non system disk, hit any key to continue"

I was trying to do a firmware update for ST31000340AS and I was using the windows updater for the same but then the update had failed in between, later I tried to update it using ISO disk Updater and it was done without any problem, now the problem here is that whenever I am rebooting the computer then I am getting a prompt during the reboot process and it says "Non system disk, hit any key to continue" and after I press any key then it goes and the windows starts normally but then I want to get rid of this. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about get rid of it?? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

I have not faced the same problem but then I have found some people facing the same and I have found that this problem is because of the Seagate's Windows based updater because it modifies the MBR or boot sector in order to take the control of the drive and later it restore to its original state but then if you are facing it for every reboot then you can try to execute a execute a “FIXMBR” command from the Recovery Console using the Windows setup CD. If you have any doubts regarding this then you can just use a disc editor to view sector 0 and then post the same here so I can help you out with it. Just try to perform it and then let me know for further help.

Re: Seagate Barracuda ST31000340AS firmware update error "Non system disk, hit any key to continue"

Hey thanks for that information, I have just downloaded the software and I have ran the test as well and I think that I have found the boot SCSI drive but then I have not used this software before and I really don’t know what I have to copy from the result that I have got, I mean that I have to copy the mbr or something else with it? I have also came across what you called sector 0 but then I don’t know how to and what to copy from it. Any further help for the same will be appreciated.

Ok then, just follow the below steps and perform the same:
    • First select the physical drive and after that just go to tool and then copy the sectors.
    • After that just click on the device in the Source tab and there the First Sector will be 0, so just change it to 64 and then the last sector will set respectively and you don’t have to do anything with it.
    • Now just select the file in the destination tab and after that the DMDE will select a filename of "sec_0_64.ima" so now just select a detonation folder for it and then click on ok.
    • I will also like to inform you that the MA file will be 32Kbytes and it will be containing contents of track 0 plus your boot sector so just upload it or send to me as a personal message.

I have followed the same and I have copied the files but then I think that the extensions of them were not allowed here so I have sent them to you as a personal message so just check them out and see if you can help me further. Hoping for a positive response and thanks in advance as well.

Hey I have gone through those file but then you have just copied first few sectors of a 146.8 GB "logical" volume and you have not coped out the "physical" disc. I will like to inform you that the first sector in your IMA file is actually an NTFS boot sector and I am not that sure about it but then I think that it is common Microsoft's standard boot code for windows vista or 7. So just copy the "physical" disc as well and then send it to me again for further help.

Sorry for that but then I have checked it now and I have found that I had sent you the logical ones and not the physical ones but then reported the correct ones again so just check them out and see if they are proper or not??

I have checked them out and they are proper this time, anyways I wanted to tell you that I have found that first sector of your physical disk appears to be replaced with the Seagate's MBR code and I think that this code is originating from the Acronis as the code might have been embedded in the activate.exe file which is further included in to the Windows updater executable so I think that the solution that I had suggested you previously will be helping you out i.e FIXMBR command from a Vista Recovery Console. So just try it out and then let me know what you get, I think that the above using the FIXMBR command from a Vista Recovery Console should end the problem without fail but then you better run it and then let me know. Best of luck.

Hey I am aware of the process of booting with windows 7 install disk and then going in to the recover section but then I am sorry to say that I don’t know how to do a FIXMBR, will you please help me out with this as well? Please..

I have done that for xp but then I am not having much idea about the windows 7 but then I don’t think that there might be much difference between them.
    • You can just follow the below steps and see if you are able to make it out:
    • First boot from the Vista CD
    • After that just select "Repair My Computer"
    • Then select the Command Prompt and then just type "bootrec /fixmbr"

Just perform it and then let me know what you get.

Hey donation I am really thankful to you for your solution, I have really solved my problem with your help. I really appreciate your detail solution for helping me out. Thanks once again