Thread: Keyboard and Mouse not functioning

Keyboard and Mouse not functioning

Hey, guys. A few weeks ago my wireless keyboard and wireless mouse stopped working. At first, I thought there might have been a problem with the mouse and keyboard themselves, so I plugged them into my laptop and they worked perfectly. After that, I tested my USB ports by plugging in a USB drive and my iPod, and they didn't even register. A friend of mine suggested that my USB ports are messed up and to get an old fashioned keyboard and mouse connection--those green and purple ports in the back of the tower (PS/2 I think they call it). I managed to get a converter for those ports, but my mouse still wouldn't work, so here I ask you guys if you have any ideas as to what the problem could be and/or how to fix said problem.

Re: Keyboard and Mouse not functioning

First of all you have to verify that the USB ports are into working condition. Also see that the devices are recognized with the USB port. For the time being you should update the Mouse drivers on the system.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykant View Post
    First of all you have to verify that the USB ports are into working condition. Also see that the devices are recognized with the USB port. For the time being you should update the Mouse drivers on the system.
    How do I do that if I can't control the mouse and keyboard, though?

Are you trying to use the mouse and keyboard on a computer or a laptop? By wireless, you mean you are connecting the keyboard and mouse via its dongle or something? Can you try to clear the cmos data by removing the cmos battery that is on the mainboard? Pull it out for 5 minutes and then re-seat it again and then try to diagnose the keyboard and mouse.

So both devices work when connected to the laptop but the mouse doesn't work with the desktop? My apologies for the captain obvious questions, but:

1) Have you changed the batteries recently?
    2) Have you tried all of the usb ports?
    3) Have you tried multiple mice?

You can navigate to the device manager through the control panel using just the keyboard. Do Alt right arrow on the Universal Serial Bus controllers, then update the drivers for each.