Thread: Dell Dimension 2400 slow performance with Ubuntu 11.10

Dell Dimension 2400 slow performance with Ubuntu 11.10

My Dell Dimension 2400 has been running with Ubuntu Linux since Ubuntu 9.x. i really love this system. Right now i have installed Ubuntu 11.10. after the installation and working for few hours i have realized the performance has gradually decreased and it is not as same as before. When i checked into the system monitor CPU utilization vwas only 75%. The application were opening and loading very slow. After referring some Ubuntu forums i have seen that CPU performance decrease due to faulty GPU.

I dont think so.

is there any better reason?

Re: Dell Dimension 2400 slow performance with Ubuntu 11.10

The problem is the users of the computer, if you're the only user in this case you!. When we are not very skilled with a distro and configure many things without knowing what we do, it is normal that our system of control and unstable. The system gets a bit slow and tends to crash, either by installing incompatible packages, libraries of another architecture different from yours! (Note this). and so on. But I think the problem is you as an administrator. I recommend you uninstall broken packages, packages that come into conflict with others. or a program you're emulating windows.

Probably the version of ubuntu you install 32 or 64bit. I have a pc with 1MB RAM and two cores. The problem can be due to below things:
    • 64bit version was somewhat slow me strangely, install the 32 bit and the filth flies.
    • I was step by 11.10 to install too many things for example, several bars doc for testing, with wine aplicaiones windows, virtual machines, software for programming, video players, chat, games. this could lead to issue sometimes, like all in one.
    • Another thing to note is that the updates also becomes slow, sometimes updated programs or services that do not even know, better not upgrade, and I have no problems.

To find out, you could try out different tool. A recommended program would GKrellM (short for GNU / GTK Krell Monitors / Meters). Just once in the Software Manager / Package Manager search and install it directly.

To fix the CPU clock, there is an extensive tutorial. Depending on whether you have Gnome or KDE as a user

In my case i am still with eartly version of Ubuntu, not the latest one. if I load the kernel 2.6.20.16 generic works fine. If you load the kernel 2.6.22.14 generic (which is what is loaded by default) all the problems arise: slow computer and fan always on.

There is nothing new that there are some problems between the new version of Ubuntu and Intel graphics chips. The Ubuntu developers themselves and warned of defects in the performance of Intel IGPs, which can cause slowdowns and even more serious problems when installing the new operating system version Canonical. The truth is that the problem can affect many laptop users who use this type of integrated graphics chips. Flash videos are not displayed correctly, slow games, 3D effects, problems and other symptoms that confirm these defects can be corrected with some modifications.

I've found that there are so many gaps between the different versions. Look on the Internet for a list of graphics cards that are compatible with Ubuntu 11.10. There are actually several graphics cards are not suitable and then you can forget the 11's version anyway. As for your CPU problem, I know nothing.

You can watch the kernel messages in different ways with commands executed in a terminal:
    Code:
    dmesg | less 

dmesg | grep-i ath 

sudo iwconfig wlan0
    Also gives important information about the link quality, the level of noise, dropped packets, etc.. I advise you to do an Internet search with the keyword Ubuntu 11.10 and ath9k. One kernel version to another, good things can change. Moreover, the system may differ from the 4.11 of 10.10, resulting in a possible influence on performance. This is to research and testing to find a possible cause for this slowness.

I have the ATI 5770 in the computer. After the update of Ubuntu 11:04 64bit to 1:10 64bit I had problems with gnome third

The proprietary drivers and Gnome 3 do not mix?

I have the ATI side of the current driver "AMD Catalyst Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver 11:10" installed. Everything is fine now.