Thread: How to use Vantec SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter on Dell Dimension c521

How to use Vantec SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter on Dell Dimension c521

I recently purchased a Vantec STATE / IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter to recover files from my old IDE hard drive. I linked the adapter and the hard drive to my Dell Dimension C521 desktop, Nevertheless my pc does not recognize the IDE drive. Do I have to alter a jumper setting to make this work? I am totally confused and do not actually know much about this sort of thing. Any help is appreciated.

Re: How to use Vantec SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter on Dell Dimension c521

Quote Originally Posted by Aravas View Post
    I recently purchased a Vantec STATE / IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter to recover files from my old IDE hard drive. I linked the adapter and the hard drive to my Dell Dimension C521 desktop, Nevertheless my pc does not recognize the IDE drive. Do I have to alter a jumper setting to make this work? I am totally confused and do not actually know much about this sort of thing. Any help is appreciated.
    I've never actually seen one of these adapters work. I recommend a USB external hard drive case, which almost always works. Anyone have any information on this than please share here.

Yes, I have XP. I'm trying to recollect my files from my old IDE hard drive using the USB adapter. Nevertheless, my pc does not recognize my IDE drive.I wonder if I have to setup the drivers for this to work.

Also, I'm receiving a SM Bus controller fault (an exclamation). Could this be causing my pc incapability to identify the IDE hard drive? I've been penetrating for hours for answer to this trouble.

The procedure to configure the hard disk 'jumpers', can be found on dell website. Dell IDE drives are usually set to Cable Select [CS] by default.The jumper settings pin number must appear on each unit label or cover.

What is the WDC IDE hard disk drive model number?It was the unit of work before being removed from the desktop?

A plastic tap / bridge might be necessary, depending on the configuration requirements. The values that appear in the box / label, if so, check the adjustment of the needs of a teacher.

The model number WD400BB - 00DKA0. According to the diagram on the back of the driver, the plastic bridge is not required for the "sole or main" set, Nevertheless it is necessary to "Master w / Slave Present" setting. I guess my current hard drive of my pc is set to master. The same goes for anything the effect? I'm just wanting to use the old external hard drive to retrieve files.

I put an IDE hard drive in the exhibition before and leaving them in simple or teacher was fine.With these adapters is always possible that your installation does not work for some reason, as evidenced by the generally favorable

Then a bridge is not necessary, the HD is a Master.SATA hard drives have no jumper settings and IDE drives, SATA HD becomes a head unit startup when connected to a SATA connector on the motherboard designed for the C521, it is SATA0

Given the age of HD WD400BB-00DKA0W, the IDE drive was working without any problem, before it was removed from the desktop?The Vantec adapter manual can be found here and perhaps worth reading.I used the same adapters in the past and have had problems with IDE connector does not work.

I recently brought a Vantec STATE / IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter to recover files from my old IDE hard drive.i am also facing the same trouble . i am able to link it to my dell pc.I dont know whats wrongs with this.Anybody here who can help me to overcome my trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by sHaRiCe View Post
    I recently brought a Vantec STATE / IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter to recover files from my old IDE hard drive.i am also facing the same trouble . i am able to link it to my dell pc.I dont know whats wrongs with this.Anybody here who can help me to overcome my trouble.
    You could attempt contacting the Vantec tech support and observe if they have any solution for this trouble, Nevertheless it's probably easier to pay money for a powered USB 2.0 IDE enclosure as suggested by IEEE488.

Those in the front of the box usually does not work well with external drives. Also, I found that the connection of the 4-pin power connector to an internal power connector seems to solve many troubles.

Right click on My Computer.Click on Manage.In Computer Management, click Disk Management.The units are shown in the right pane.CD-ROM are listed in the bottom of the panel.If it appears, click the WD400 drive.Click Change Drive Letter and Paths.Click on Change.Click Assign the following drive letter.Click the drive letter to assign.Click on OK.If you do not see the WD400, turn off the system and check all settings.