Thread: Black Screen and Loud fan noise in Dell XPS 700 desktop PC.

Black Screen and Loud fan noise in Dell XPS 700 desktop PC.

HI, I am a Dell XPS 700 owner and having problem with this desktop PC as it was working fine before some days but from last 1 week whenever I start the machine nothing appears on the screen as it just remains black and here the worst part is like Loud fan noise with the laptop. Don’t know what could be the problem with the desktop, and as this happening to me for the first thus I am also not aware about the problem, any suggestion for resolving this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Black Screen and Loud fan noise in Dell XPS 700 desktop PC.

See as you have mentioned like you are having Black screen of the machine but still there could be so many reason can cause such problem with the machine, thus it would be better if you specify it properly so that we can assist you further with better way. Anyways I have mentioned some of the reasons thus just make sure whether this is the only reason?

• The monitor is OFF or the cables rather wires are detached. This could occur at any time throughout the lifecycle of the computer. Alternatively, perhaps the system has gone into power conserving mode.

• A component in the computer (such as a graphics card) may have overheated.

• If you have just installed the computer and nothing seems to work, it could a bad monitor or a low power supply.

• Recent Hardware Changes.

I am agree with the above user as there could be some problem with the graphics card only in your machine if you have installed any as when I was having the same problem after all the test I came to know that the FAN comprised in the GPU was having problem and because of that it was sounding loudly. Thus I would like to recommend you that you should first of all make sure whether the FAN on your GPU is working perfectly or not, after that if suppose the noise is been produced from the other fan then ensure that there isn’t any dust on the fan, because that could also cause problem with the fan. And this was quite ordinary reason rather as mentioned above, here also there are couple of reason can cause this kind of issue with the machine.

I would like to recommend you that you should try to do the following mentioned things and see what happens.

1. Clean the CPU fan.

2. Clean the PSU fan.

3. If the noise perseveres and can be tapering down to the CPU fan, reinstate the CPU fan.

4. If the noise continues and can be pointed down to the fan inside of the PSU, change the PSU

5. Many fans in ideal working order will get noisy as the system gets warmer. In this case, it may be essential to shift your PC to a cooler area.

6. If shifting the PC is not an alternative, you may require investing in fans that are more powerful or in a additional superior cooling system like liquid cooling.

i am not sure about this but have you ever tried reinstalling the video drivers in the machine, if not then you should try to do that first as this is somewhat referred to that only.

Though you have mentioned very good reasons but still I am not having any such problem with the monitor because I know all the cables are attached perfectly rather the monitor is also working perfectly, in fact I have never updated any hardware as well. Any more suggestion left?

seems it could be some problem with the Motherboard, you should try the following mentioned troubleshooting.

Open the chassis and turn the computer on and confirm that the CPU fan and the PSU and the fan are running. After that you should try to Shutdown the computer and let it cool down and then closely observe the motherboard and observe that it is NOT in contact with the computer case.

If still you are pursuing the same problem then you should try to disconnect and reconnect the mentioned hardware, DRAM, CPU, PSU, graphic card. After that you should try to reset your BIOS to the default configuration and see whether you are getting the same black screen or what?

I think there is surely some problem with the operating system you may have installed in the machine thus you should try to get it reinstalled and if possible not with the same source from where you had installed it earlier.

I was also having the same problem with the machine and I came to know that it was because of the BIOS that’s the Binary Operating System and I think that may be corrupted. Over here you can have option to troubleshoot the way I have mentioned below.

1. Try booting in the safe mode. Reboot the computer and observe the point to which it boots up previous to you obtain the blank screen.
    2. Press F8 as the PC starts to boot. Make use of the arrow keys to choose the safe mode and press Enter. Remember that NUM LOCK should be OFF for the arrow keys to function.

3. If Windows start on prior to you can select the safe mode, reboot computer and go to step 1.

4. You can select “Safe mode with command prompt” option if you know how to make use of MS-DOS

5. You can select “Last known good configuration” to go reverse to the last known safe shutdown state.

6. If you have installed any drivers or corrupted any files , the safe mode will help you get back to the state before the changes, while the computer was running effortlessly, thus uninstall them.

why don’t you visit the service center for the problem you are pursuing if the machine is still under warranty, because you may get the replacement as well for any particular hardware if it is been corrupted.

though i am completely agree with the above users but still i personally believe that this could be just because of the RAM only you should test that only precisely and then see what happens.