Thread: System reboots is this SMPS or UPS Problem..??

System reboots is this SMPS or UPS Problem..??

Guys,

Need some opinion on the following isuue. I have the following configuration:

Intel Pentium Dual Core, 3.2 Ghz
    3GB DDR2 800Mhz Ram
    500GB+250GB Hardisk
    Nvidia XFX 8400 Graphics Card

SMPS: Intex 450W
    UPS: APC 650 VA

Problem: Occasionally, my computer restarts on Power failure. However, nowadays it is happening very frequently. This problem persist from last 5 to 6months.

There is a series of communication happening with APC from last 5 to 6 months, but till this date, no solution has been provided. Many times they have taken my UPS to the service station but still could not rectify the problem. Most of them blame SMPS is causing the problem. But still i am not convinced with this reason.

Any idea how to check whether the problem is really related to SMPS or UPS??

Thanks!!

re: System reboots is this SMPS or UPS Problem..??

This is smps problem. I faced the same issue on my 5 computers. They restart automatically. I do not have ups connected to them. Later on I found that the smps are faulty. Though there were in service I got the replacement. You can test this by following. Disconnect the ups and connect your system directly to main power source. If the system reboots, then surely the smps needs a replacement. Or else you can blame ups.

Re: System reboots is this SMPS or UPS Problem..??

Thanks for the reply Lisa... but actually, this problem occurs (Occasionally) only when there is a power failure and not during power on..

I heard that, if it is related to SMPS probem, system will restart intermittently even though power exists... but my system is functioning normally when there is power...

Any thoughts..?? or is there any particular method to check SMPS fault...

Re: System reboots is this SMPS or UPS Problem..??

According to me the reason is because of voltage difference. When there is power failure the ups switches to backup power. Because of which for some time there is power fluctuation which lets to system reboot. If the smps if faulty, then your system will reboot constantly at any time. Even if there is regular power supply. It is the fault of ups. Did your ups is fully charged. You can do battery calibration by keeping the ups disconnected with power for till the time the entire power is drained. Then connect the ups and charge it for 2 to 3 hrs. Do not connect anything. Once it charged then connect the system to it and try.